IGNORED

Article: A View And Preview Of New APL HiFi Speakers

I wondered about the glass myself. I mean I heard Waterfall speakers, which are tempered glass cabinets and they did sound stellar.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

7 hours ago, PeterG said:

I especially appreciate the comparison to your own system.  

Me too, especially since you didn't get into the minutiae, but rather compared broad impressions.  

Alex has been working on the crossover and speakers for a long, long time.  I was a fan of his work way back when he was modding Denon universal players and he was working on speakers (and amps) soon after that.  He always knew the sound he was looking for for each component. 

Thanks, Chris for the review and doing the hard work we don't do  ;)     

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

4 minutes ago, joelha said:

For the record, Chris' visit had to be a bigger treat for me than for him.

Chris gets to go all over the world to factories and dealers to hear the most interesting equipment and talk to the most interesting people in the industry.

How many industry people visit my home?

What's more, Chris is one of the kindest and most decent people I've met. He is, to use a Yiddish term, a "mensch" which, loosely translated, means: what a person is supposed to be.

As for the specifics of the article, for which I'm very grateful, the pieces under the speakers are one inch thick acrylic. They are both for vibration absorption and, yes, to make the speakers easier to move.

My assistance to APL is a true labor of love. Like Chris, Alex Peychev is also a true "mensch". I could write an article about his many acts of kindness and decency.

But, for me to take time away from four three-year-olds, my wife and my primary business, the product also has to be outstanding. And it is.

As a hobbyist, I'll say, I've replaced every component I previously owned with APL components and speakers.

I'm not going to make this message a lengthy ad for APL. I'll just say from a music enjoyment and personal perspective, my association with APL has been a joy.

Thanks very much, Chris, for taking the time to visit and write about the experience.

Our kids are looking forward to seeing Uncle Chris again.

Joel

You’re far too kind Joel :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

20 hours ago, bobfa said:

There is this thing called a Solar Tour where you go around and look at different solar system installs.  We could have Audiophile Tours........  Properly Vetted of course....

Interesting idea.....

Of course I am low to mid-fi :D

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

10 hours ago, alwayslearning said:

It's unfortunate that APL doesn't have more recognition in the USA. Maybe his speakers will help to spread the word. 

I'm OK without recognition, but would never be OK without a listen before buying.  Google APL US dealers--it appears to be just Joel's living room.  My sense is that we are a year or two away from being able to listen/buy. 

This is not a complaint of APL/Joel, just the hard reality of trying to break into a tough market.  Let's hope this review helps!

(Joel, if the rest of us come to visit, can we get a sandwich or at least some cookies?)

I know a dealer looking for nice speakers with wood cabinets. Yes, the carry KEF, but the others Rockport, Magico, Golden Ear and, Estelon do have wood cabinets. People come into their shop looking for speakers with nice wood cabinets that sound good.

I know it is crazy but hey, it is what it is.

PM me and I will give the info to you. 

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

15 hours ago, PeterG said:

I'm OK without recognition, but would never be OK without a listen before buying.  Google APL US dealers--it appears to be just Joel's living room.  My sense is that we are a year or two away from being able to listen/buy. 

This is not a complaint of APL/Joel, just the hard reality of trying to break into a tough market.  Let's hope this review helps!

(Joel, if the rest of us come to visit, can we get a sandwich or at least some cookies?)

Not only can you get some cookies but, given that my wife is native-born Chinese and Jewish (please read the article on Medium (https://medium.com/mind-cafe/how-to-marry-and-have-four-newborns-at-60-ecdc23e8e4a8) if you went to know more), you can get home-made kosher Chinese here. 

I'll pick any of you up and return you to the airport. 

Who's in?

Joel

18 hours ago, joelha said:

Not only can you get some cookies but, given that my wife is native-born Chinese and Jewish (please read the article on Medium (https://medium.com/mind-cafe/how-to-marry-and-have-four-newborns-at-60-ecdc23e8e4a8) if you went to know more), you can get home-made kosher Chinese here. 

I'll pick any of you up and return you to the airport. 

Who's in?

Joel

Hi Joel,

Thank you for sharing a beautiful and personal story.  The path to success is rarely a straight line

Peter