Jump to content
IGNORED

Article: Part 2: RAAL-requisite SR1a Earfield Headphone Monitor & HSA-1b Headphone & Speaker Amplifier Review


Recommended Posts

Hi @austinpop as usual an excellent review, I really appreciate your opinion.

Question since you are also very knowledgeable with Euphony. I am interested in EQing my Raal headphone but I do not have HQP nor Roon. Would it be possible for HQP embedded in Euphony to use @mitchco’s convolution filters? 
Also I am very tempted to buy the HSA1-b and be done with the switchable speaker/Raal resistor box, with this solution both suffer. I believe @The Computer Audiophile mentioned that Raal is busy developing a tube based amplifier for the Raal so I am not sure if I should wait for that, might be a while. Have you heard anything about that?

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers with scan speak illuminator drivers.

Raal SR1a

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RickyV said:

Would it be possible for HQP embedded in Euphony to use @mitchco’s convolution filters? 

 

Yes.

 

 

4 minutes ago, RickyV said:

I believe @The Computer Audiophile mentioned that Raal is busy developing a tube based amplifier for the Raal so I am not sure if I should wait for that, might be a while. Have you heard anything about that?

 

Supposed to be demonstrated at the Head-Fi show in Southern California this year. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing The Audiophile Style Podcast

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RickyV said:

Hi @austinpop as usual an excellent review, I really appreciate your opinion.

Question since you are also very knowledgeable with Euphony. I am interested in EQing my Raal headphone but I do not have HQP nor Roon. Would it be possible for HQP embedded in Euphony to use @mitchco’s convolution filters? 

 

While I have not actually gone through these steps myself, as I no longer use Euphony actively, I don't see why not. While the Euphony web app exposes some slected HQP settings, your best bet is to access the HQP embedded server directly via its web UI at http://<ip address>:8088 Check the Euphony docs (or contact Zeljko) for the default credentials. You should then be able to access the convolution settings and load Mitch's filters.

 

9 minutes ago, RickyV said:

Also I am very tempted to buy the HSA1-b and be done with the switchable speaker/Raal resistor box, with this solution both suffer. I believe @The Computer Audiophile mentioned that Raal is busy developing a tube based amplifier for the Raal so I am not sure if I should wait for that, might be a while. Have you heard anything about that?

 

As Chris said, they plan to announce and demo at the CanJam SoCal in Irvine, CA in a couple weeks. I'm very curious too!

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Yes


Ooh wow that is fantastic news, thanks. I didn’t expect that.

 

15 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Supposed to be demonstrated at the Head-Fi show in Southern California this year. 


Might you have an educated guess as to when it will be for sale, approximately.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers with scan speak illuminator drivers.

Raal SR1a

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RichardSF said:

@austinpop(or anybody else), how is the HSA1-b as a speaker amp? The cost of the HSA1-b is out of reach for many, but it might be justified for some if it can also double as an audiophile amp for a nearfield or small room system.


I lack data to answer that question. I could not test this use case. I’m hoping others who have can/will comment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, happybob said:

Great review Rajiv! Thanks! 

I find it quite interesting that while you heard notable differences between the various headphones (and amps) you used, no one totally in every respect blew away the others. This is a tribute to the excellence of all the gear (headphones and amps) at the highend now! 

 

 

 

Very true, happybob! We are now at a state of the art where TOTL headphones are all so good, there are no absolute winners or losers. It's all about synergy — with your system, with your ears, and with your preferences.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...