IGNORED

Any thoughts? JCAT XE issue w/ New Audio Computer Build

Gator01

31 minutes ago, elan120 said:

Is there a way to have HQPlayer link to services like Qobuz?

Yes... with Roon...

That may not be the answer you were hoping for, but HQP by itself is a local file only player. That's not a bad thing at all because it sounds fabulous, artists make more money when you purchase music, and you don't then need to hassle with Roon as much, or at all.

No electron left behind.

17 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

You guys know that Jussi/HQPlayer has a client controller, right?

You know how to scan the library to let HQPlayer know where to find your music files?

Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 6.04.22 PM.png

Yes, I've been communicating with Jussie regarding this over the last view days. Their remote client is fast, and has a beautiful GUI with full cover artwork, as you have shown. Again, the issue for me is dependability. Some nights it doesn't work at all (no connection error), some nights ir works (connects) but is totally non- responsive communicating with HQPlayer. No error showing, just sits there. Some nights it connects, I select an album, and I get a nag that says the album is being placed in que, the playlist is currently active. But there is no playlist, and nothing is actively playing.  

I did find another remote app, HQPWV, thaty seems to be much more consistent. I created a link for it on my desktop, otherwise you need to keep going back to the page to download, unzip, install and open it every time you use it. You can get the Github link here: 

https://github.com/zeropointnine/hqpwv/releases

Once it opens, it will give you the IP to load in your android, or whatever device you are using for a remote. It is always the same for me, so I just created a favorites bookmark on my Android tablet browser. As long as HQPlayer opens in a working state, the app will generate the IP, I hit my favorite link, and I'm in business. It's been 100% reliable as long as HQPlayer opens in a working/ ready state. Very attractive GUI. Free. Give it a try if that is one part of your issues with this great player that just has some dependabilty and quirky issues.

1 minute ago, Gator01 said:

Yes, I've been communicating with Jussie regarding this over the last view days. Their remote client is fast, and has a beautiful GUI with full cover artwork, as you have shown. Again, the issue for me is dependability. Some nights it doesn't work at all (no connection error), some nights ir works (connects) but is totally non- responsive communicating with HQPlayer. No error showing, just sits there. Some nights it connects, I select an album, and I get a nag that says the album is being placed in que, the playlist is currently active. But there is no playlist, and nothing is actively playing.  

I did find another remote app, HQPWV, thaty seems to be much more consistent. I created a link for it on my desktop, otherwise you need to keep going back to the page to download, unzip, install and open it every time you use it. You can get the Github link here: 

https://github.com/zeropointnine/hqpwv/releases

Once it opens, it will give you the IP to load in your android, or whatever device you are using for a remote. It is always the same for me, so I just created a favorites bookmark on my Android tablet browser. As long as HQPlayer opens in a working state, the app will generate the IP, I hit my favorite link, and I'm in business. It's been 100% reliable as long as HQPlayer opens in a working/ ready state. Very attractive GUI. Free. Give it a try if that is one part of your issues with this great player that just has some dependabilty and quirky issues.

I have none of those problems and am very happy with the desktop client. Is your network wired or wireless?

No electron left behind.

51 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I have none of those problems and am very happy with the desktop client. Is your network wired or wireless?

I've tried it both ways. It is as basic as it can be. It's a local system, one device. I built a computer as a project speciffically for audio. I used great components- Ryzen 9 5950 CPU, 64 GB 3200 speed Corsair Viper RAM, Corsair Platinum 750 watt RX Power supply, JCAT XE card, Chord USB cable directly to my Schiit Yggsdrasil DAC. Also using well regarded 5VDC regulated linear power supply for the JCat, AC filtering everywhere, etc. Installed/ uninstalled HQPlayer three times. Even tried creating a separate local network, like a "hotspot" with a static IP. HQPlayer has been unreliable, to say the least. But it sounds so amazing, if there was something that sounded as good or better, I would use it. I've tried about half a dozen others. But I'm putting up with the aggravation so far because I built this system around the promise of using HQPlayer. I don't think I'm that rare. I've been lurking several forums with quite a few people discussing similar issues.

Which OS is on the computer?

Which version of HQP are you using?

Have you tried NOT externally powering the JCAT card?

Do you have a license for HQP? The trial version only plays for 30 minutes at a time before needing to be shut down completely and restarted.

Have you scanned your library?

On what device are you trying the HQP Client control app?

How is that device connected?

I have not seen a problem with HQP that wasn't operator error... Have you considered that?

No electron left behind.

4 hours ago, Gator01 said:

I've tried it both ways. It is as basic as it can be. It's a local system, one device. I built a computer as a project speciffically for audio. I used great components- Ryzen 9 5950 CPU, 64 GB 3200 speed Corsair Viper RAM, Corsair Platinum 750 watt RX Power supply, JCAT XE card, Chord USB cable directly to my Schiit Yggsdrasil DAC. Also using well regarded 5VDC regulated linear power supply for the JCat, AC filtering everywhere, etc. Installed/ uninstalled HQPlayer three times. Even tried creating a separate local network, like a "hotspot" with a static IP. HQPlayer has been unreliable, to say the least. But it sounds so amazing, if there was something that sounded as good or better, I would use it. I've tried about half a dozen others. But I'm putting up with the aggravation so far because I built this system around the promise of using HQPlayer. I don't think I'm that rare. I've been lurking several forums with quite a few people discussing similar issues.

If you're brave, there are many players out there, a topic here discusses in some detail. Yes players do sound different, even though they play bit perfect, or try to. The major drama seems to be the volume control and implementation, just set at 100% and use the amplifier's volume, my suggestion.

For a whim, Musicbee is working on the office computer, has ASIO support and can play from memory. It sounds actually 'OK', which means for me it doesn't sound muffled. It's a local/desktop player only, no DLNA just yet.

Subjective comparison of Software Music Player - General Forum - Audiophile Style

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

On 9/18/2021 at 6:10 PM, One and a half said:

If you're brave, there are many players out there, a topic here discusses in some detail. Yes players do sound different, even though they play bit perfect, or try to. The major drama seems to be the volume control and implementation, just set at 100% and use the amplifier's volume, my suggestion.

For a whim, Musicbee is working on the office computer, has ASIO support and can play from memory. It sounds actually 'OK', which means for me it doesn't sound muffled. It's a local/desktop player only, no DLNA just yet.

Subjective comparison of Software Music Player - General Forum - Audiophile Style

That website was very interesting, One and a half. Appreciate the link. I saw a couple of apps I really wanted to try, HySolid in particular. It appears to have been written in Japan, and also appears that maintenance and support have been stopped since sometime in 2018. It's not the first time I've seen an app/ player/ server that was supposed to produce "OMG" moments in sound, only to find that they are full of bugs, no longer supported, or only partially functioning. HySolid is especially frustrating, as once it installs, it loads something into the background. When you open the app, a small box opens with a box to point the app to your music catalog. Once that is done, it tells you to connect to the remote app, you hit ok, and the small GUI disappears. There are no settings dropdowns, or any other interaction possible with the computer app. Then once the remote is downloaded onto your phone, Android device, etc. it opens up nicely and quickly informs you there is no wifi connnection. (there is, a very strong one.) Again, just a blank page with song/ album/ genre tap selections on the bottom. No settings dialogue box, no place to add or replace an IP adddress, nothing. And absolutely no functions can be engaged on the main computer. No place to view a library or start a song, no play/ stop buttons, nothing. I'll keep looking for other players, but for right now, HQSound is working much more dependably with the third party remote I mentioned in this thread. At least I'm happy about that!

On 9/23/2021 at 2:27 AM, Gator01 said:

That website was very interesting, One and a half. Appreciate the link. I saw a couple of apps I really wanted to try, HySolid in particular. It appears to have been written in Japan, and also appears that maintenance and support have been stopped since sometime in 2018. It's not the first time I've seen an app/ player/ server that was supposed to produce "OMG" moments in sound, only to find that they are full of bugs, no longer supported, or only partially functioning. HySolid is especially frustrating, as once it installs, it loads something into the background. When you open the app, a small box opens with a box to point the app to your music catalog. Once that is done, it tells you to connect to the remote app, you hit ok, and the small GUI disappears. There are no settings dropdowns, or any other interaction possible with the computer app. Then once the remote is downloaded onto your phone, Android device, etc. it opens up nicely and quickly informs you there is no wifi connnection. (there is, a very strong one.) Again, just a blank page with song/ album/ genre tap selections on the bottom. No settings dialogue box, no place to add or replace an IP adddress, nothing. And absolutely no functions can be engaged on the main computer. No place to view a library or start a song, no play/ stop buttons, nothing. I'll keep looking for other players, but for right now, HQSound is working much more dependably with the third party remote I mentioned in this thread. At least I'm happy about that!

I think it would be a good time as a refresher to revsit music players, from a reliability, ease of use and SQ. Too many of them are written by the single person, who either gives up and is swamped by questions/demands, or in the case of a company, this is what you get, kind of thing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2021 at 5:47 AM, One and a half said:

I think it would be a good time as a refresher to revsit music players, from a reliability, ease of use and SQ. Too many of them are written by the single person, who either gives up and is swamped by questions/demands, or in the case of a company, this is what you get, kind of thing.

Winyl and MusicBee are nothing special, tried them, remote issues for almost everyone with MusicBee, which is irritatingly complex, tries to be all things for all people, even includes a CD Burner. But after listening for a good bit, I decided it wasn't worth pursuing. I checked the thread you posted and read through some more. Besides the seven listed, towards the end of the thread a lot of folks are talking about XXHighend, and how great it sounds. Also, WTFPlay. They both sound challenging to install and use, but I'll have some free time before the weekend is out. So far, if you can put up with some annoying quirks, HQPlayer has been my top choice, at least IMHO. It has a soundstage, an analog edge, and amazing destinction between instruments. Depth and width. Nothing for me has beat it yet. 

4 hours ago, Gator01 said:

Winyl and MusicBee are nothing special, tried them, remote issues for almost everyone with MusicBee, which is irritatingly complex, tries to be all things for all people, even includes a CD Burner. But after listening for a good bit, I decided it wasn't worth pursuing. I checked the thread you posted and read through some more. Besides the seven listed, towards the end of the thread a lot of folks are talking about XXHighend, and how great it sounds. Also, WTFPlay. They both sound challenging to install and use, but I'll have some free time before the weekend is out. So far, if you can put up with some annoying quirks, HQPlayer has been my top choice, at least IMHO. It has a soundstage, an analog edge, and amazing destinction between instruments. Depth and width. Nothing for me has beat it yet. 

Well, MusicBee is in the bin, I tried to import all 8900 albums, and it crashed within seconds of attempting, syonara. That was for desktop application. So it's back to Jriver or Sony Music Player for testing music downloads, to see if the album is worth keeping on the office setup. I can't stomach the 1980's yellow and red and the install of XXXhighend.

The other day when returning from a week long business trip, took Minimserver/Lumin app ages to update 6 albums to listen on the Lumin U1. Really wanted to listen to the new album from Silje Nergaard, "Houses" totally pi$$ed with how long the rescan took, burned the download to a CD and played within minutes on the DP-720/DC-950. Fantastic album (in parts) btw.

SQ is one thing but the UX really really needs a lot of attention by developers in order for the faithful to remain. @The Computer Audiophile has found a way to use HQPlayer with other controls, might study that a little more. Then to choose the egos of Jriver and HQPlayer to fianancially invest in, oh boy, it's only for an office situation.

I've given up for now for serious listening on computer audio on the main system, the UX is letting me down big time. The Lumin U1 is seriously becoming bricked, just due to the lack of software to drive it.

On 10/2/2021 at 7:16 PM, One and a half said:

Well, MusicBee is in the bin, I tried to import all 8900 albums, and it crashed within seconds of attempting, syonara. That was for desktop application. So it's back to Jriver or Sony Music Player for testing music downloads, to see if the album is worth keeping on the office setup. I can't stomach the 1980's yellow and red and the install of XXXhighend.

The other day when returning from a week long business trip, took Minimserver/Lumin app ages to update 6 albums to listen on the Lumin U1. Really wanted to listen to the new album from Silje Nergaard, "Houses" totally pi$$ed with how long the rescan took, burned the download to a CD and played within minutes on the DP-720/DC-950. Fantastic album (in parts) btw.

SQ is one thing but the UX really really needs a lot of attention by developers in order for the faithful to remain. @The Computer Audiophile has found a way to use HQPlayer with other controls, might study that a little more. Then to choose the egos of Jriver and HQPlayer to fianancially invest in, oh boy, it's only for an office situation.

I've given up for now for serious listening on computer audio on the main system, the UX is letting me down big time. The Lumin U1 is seriously becoming bricked, just due to the lack of software to drive it.

A bunch of these players don't use ram just as a buffer, but they load the entire song into memory before they play them. Bughead is my most recent failure at something "esoteric' and promoting my faith in a good self made computer concentrated on reproducing truly top grade audio. That app takes about 10 minutes or more on what I assume is its highest reproduction level. But the buttons are just various colors and there is no documentation to tell you what anything does. It's a Japanese produced app, you probably know that, so no English instruction. The oddest thing is that whatever it is doing while loading the song, it is certainly not upsampling it, because everything Plays back in 44/16! .No perceptive change that I heard on playback. So that's a goner. I'm going to check your link re: HQPlayer.

Thanks