IGNORED

Audio reproduction is a matter of taste?

10 minutes ago, hopkins said:

Back up a page.

There is very little consistency in what someone like Guttenberg says. He's produced hundreds of videos - the probability that all of it is intelligent is very low, especially when he seems to strive for "volume" more than "quality".

However, when you read his article that was linked in this thread, you really wonder about him.

"I was in a strange mood last January when I posted this on Facebook: "Do speaker designers strive for accuracy, or for a 'sound' they think potential buyers want?" I doubted that any designer with two working ears would even attempt to design speakers that merely measured well—there must be at least some subjectivity in their process. "

How does "subjectivity" in the process demonstrate in any way (or not) that they would be producing "a sound they think potential buyers want" ? These are two completely different and unrelated things.

Then he quotes Andrew Jones (who I have a lot of respect for). What Andrew Jones explains is very basic, and is exactly what we have gone over before in this thread: there are two steps - the recording, and the audio playback. But he does explain that he strives for "neutral" which does mean something.

"There is no way to capture an original performance for replay over two channels that can represent the "truth" of that performance. All we can get is a facsimile that is the producer's attempt to capture what he wants to convey to you. As for a studio recording, it is a total construct and has no "original." Therefore, as a speaker designer, my goal is to try and keep the speaker neutral so it is agnostic to the type of music and, to a degree, the replay level."

To which Guttenberg concludes "Holy crap. That was a blast of fresh air".

Sorry, but this man is an idiot. Probably a very nice one, but still an idiot.

Still didn’t see anyone reference him as an expert other than you. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png