IGNORED

can a usb cable short -- really unhappy buying expensive cables and then they do not work

hykbooks

Hi, I have 2 cables from the same company, that I would like not mention its name, as I adore the sound of the cables

But I am really unhappy, as those are over 300 usd cables, this issue is that simply both stopped working when I connect them to my computers. One is an older model and one is a newer model. Since day one I had issues with the connections of those cables. In the beginning any slight movement would break the connection and the dacs will not be detected. Till it reached a point now both cables are totally not working

I have a assus zephyrus laptop with 4 usb ports and a mini intel nuc, and I have 2 dacs, ifi ipro dsd and a ecdesign r2r dac, simply both cables do not work anymore, which is so frustrating, how can this happen, when I connect other cables to any of the devices mentioned above they work, except those 2 usb cables

The company asked me to send them back, but sending them back will cost me shipping overseas and the headache to deal with customs upon return is a headache by itself

Those usb cables have switches and are thick cables. I have been trying everything, why all of sudden both cables went dead is a mystery to me

Points to consider:

1- every other usb cable works flawlessly with my dacs and my computers

2- since day one I had issues with both cables

3- both are 2 meter cables and thick

4- the connectors look fine and are clean

5- I do not connect and disconnect cables, as after I buy a cable it stays in my system, so I am not doing plug and unplug often, only very very rarely

Any advise

6 minutes ago, esmit said:

'Curious' which cables you talk about.

Most of the time sending back and forth second hand cables/for repairs is much less expensive than new orders. Some brands specifically say not to bend in the wrong direction. 

well I try to not disclose the company name, as they offered to me sending them for check up but to pay shipping, but my confidence is not great now, as how on earth 2 cables from the same company can have this malfunction. when the first started going weird i was offered an upgrade to buy the new model, which i accepted gladly, but now to also have the newer model go dead like this, is not to my liking at all, and i will not pay a penny to that company, maybe they will read this thread and do take actions

that is what I thought, if this will not get resolved I will never buy again, anyway I sent the company a message that I opened this thread, as I am so bummed, especially that I have to deal with 2 cables having the same issue, while all my other cables work just fine. I never had a usb cable problem ever, so that this happens with 2 cables from them

A little off-topic - not directly audio-related:

I was using a super cheapo USB cable to charge my phone.

I heard a strange bubbling noise (the plastic melting/boiling) before I smelled the smoke. Very lucky I was right there to yank the thing - who knows how bad this could have been if we were away.

Makes me wary as these suckers can carry lots of amps

I assume these USB cables have switches on them to enable/disable USB power? Some DAC's need USB power to operate. If power is not getting through the cable, I would suspect a faulty switch. Maybe you can bypass the switch with a jumper?

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.