IGNORED

Article: New Schiit Yggdrasil Blind Listening Comparison

48 minutes ago, matthias said:

The upcoming Schiit URD is also supposed to improve the input to the Yggdrasil. A comparison might be interesting.

Matt

Yeah, to this point, Unison USB input is very responsive in my experience to putting reclocking/conditioning before it in the chain. I’m using a JCAT Femto USB V2 card with LT3045 regulated LPS -> SOtM tX-USBultra Special Edition with Paul Hynes SR4T -> Unison input on my Less Is More Yggy to very good effect. Also had a noticeable improvement on A2/OG before it.

Still, there are quite a few folks who think that AES is the clearest and least colored input. One of these days I’ll get around to trying a Pi2AES with it, which a lot of people say compares favorably with solutions many times its price.

Also, to clarify @matthias’ post about Urd, it is purported to improve on Unison by providing a custom-designed Unison USB output to match any Unison-outfitted DAC’s input. Urd will be a CD-based transport, but, at least according to a recent Q&A, will include a USB pass through for those who would like to try the Unison output sans CD. Mike at Schiit was pretty enthused (and surprised) by how much it improved USB playback vs. a motherboard port or what have you. The Unison output is also being tested with other manufacturers’ DACs’ USB inputs to ensure compatibility, so you could use it with a non-Schiit DAC as well.

5 hours ago, R1200CL said:

It’s “interesting” that in your opinion or system Schiit hasn’t been able to make a proper USB interface. Hope I understand you correctly. 

That may be a bit strong. I haven't done anything to optimize the USB input and my experience is limited. I haven't spent enough time with it to be definitive  so it is too early to come to that  strong of a conclusion.

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

23 hours ago, internethandle said:

Still, there are quite a few folks who think that AES is the clearest and least colored input. One of these days I’ll get around to trying a Pi2AES with it, which a lot of people say compares favorably with solutions many times its price.

My bias in audio has over the years increasingly leaned toward clean electricity. I use AES with Yggy and think it far superior to USB, but I am all Red Book so if you need USB for hi-res, you need USB. For AES, IME (bias) Pi2AES seems low cost until one adds "quality" power to the mix. That bumps it up into "may as well buy a _______" territory where you get quality power built in. 

I don't have a good answer for this, for me. Currently using an older Auralic Aries streamer with its better LPS. I'd prefer to put an Uptone power supply on it but the voltage doesn't match, so now I'm into "might as well buy Aries G1 or higher" territory.

But nonetheless, I think AES is much better and really find USB to be problematic. Still, if you get it sorted, you never need fuss with it again. 

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

21 minutes ago, feelingears said:

My bias in audio has over the years increasingly leaned toward clean electricity. I use AES with Yggy and think it far superior to USB, but I am all Red Book so if you need USB for hi-res, you need USB. For AES, IME (bias) Pi2AES seems "low cost" until one adds "quality" power to the mix. That bumps it up into "may as well buy a _______" territory where you get quality power built it. 

I don't have a good answer for this, for me. Currently using an older Auralic Aries streamer with its better LPS. I'd prefer to put an Uptone power supply on it but the voltage doesn't match, so now I'm into "might as well buy Aries G1 or higher" territory.

But nonetheless, I think AES is much better and really find USB to be problematic. Still, if you get it sorted, you never need fuss with it again. 

Hey Looney,

Look at the HDPlex https://hdplex.com/hdplex-fanless-300w-linear-power-supply-for-pc-audio-and-ce-device.html.   Multiple DC outputs two of which are adjustable voltages.   Mine powers my AudioByte Bridge and 12VDC for my MAC Mini that I have dedicated to Roon.   Just a thought! 

48 minutes ago, feelingears said:

Currently using an older Auralic Aries streamer with its better LPS. I'd prefer to put an Uptone power supply on it but the voltage doesn't match

I don't know what the Auralic requires but Uptone can adjust their high end supply to voltages other than those listed on their website

On 9/22/2021 at 10:57 AM, internethandle said:

Yeah, to this point, Unison USB input is very responsive in my experience to putting reclocking/conditioning before it in the chain. I’m using a JCAT Femto USB V2 card with LT3045 regulated LPS -> SOtM tX-USBultra Special Edition with Paul Hynes SR4T -> Unison input on my Less Is More Yggy to very good effect. Also had a noticeable improvement on A2/OG before it.

Currently using Pi2AES -> AES -> LiM. Yeah, the Pi2AES is money very well spent.

The Pi2AES presents a tremendous price to performance ratio. I have had one for over a year and tried many OSes and configurations. I settled on GentooPlayer OS because it sounded better than Volumio and Moode at the time. 

My first build surpassed it fairly early on in my journey but was much more costly to put together (at least 4x the price). This is with no network optimizations and a fairly decent for the price Audioquest Forest USB cable.

I will revisit this test for those curious. I'll use my Schiit Pyst USB cable to compare to the standard Mogami AED cable I used with Pi2AES. I have a 5V LPS i can use with the Pi2AES now (diy MPAudio ALS-HPULN) but would need to build a cable that fits and search for the guide to getting it to work with 5V input (i only used the included smps).

It has been a while since I conducted this test, but, I remember one major difference between the two sources. The fairly basic PC based build sounded bigger and had more authority. Pi2AES sounded very good as well but smaller and somewhat leaner. 

I have since come a long way with my computer source. Go ahead, rip me to shreds 😁,just sharing my experience. Pi2AES is a tremendously good sounding low cost option that can and should be endgame for many!

Edit: Forgot to mention this comparison is with the Yggdrasil A2/OG.

Cheers,

-Rob

PXL_20210923_232046942.jpg

5 hours ago, Exocer said:

The Pi2AES presents a tremendous price to performance ratio. I have had one for over a year and tried many OSes and configurations. I settled on GentooPlayer OS because it sounded better than Volumio and Moode at the time. 

My first build surpassed it fairly early on in my journey but was much more costly to put together (at least 4x the price). This is with no network optimizations and a fairly decent for the price Audioquest Forest USB cable.

I will revisit this test for those curious. I'll use my Schiit Pyst USB cable to compare to the standard Mogami AED cable I used with Pi2AES. I have a 5V LPS i can use with the Pi2AES now (diy MPAudio ALS-HPULN) but would need to build a cable that fits and search for the guide to getting it to work with 5V input (i only used the included smps).

It has been a while since I conducted this test, but, I remember one major difference between the two sources. The fairly basic PC based build sounded bigger and had more authority. Pi2AES sounded very good as well but smaller and somewhat leaner. 

I have since come a long way with my computer source. Go ahead, rip me to shreds 😁,just sharing my experience. Pi2AES is a tremendously good sounding low cost option that can and should be endgame for many!

Edit: Forgot to mention this comparison is with the Yggdrasil A2/OG.

There is another report here on AS where the new ifi Zen stream was preferred to the Pi2AES.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

On 9/24/2021 at 6:20 PM, matthias said:

I just read on SBAF that Jason likes a lot the idea of a "Schiit x Soekris" collaboration.

So maybe we see in due time an Yggdrasil with Soekris boards.......😃

I think that would not be a bad decision at all.

As Mike @baldrhas the final say in anything digital at Schiit he hopefully gives green light.......

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

5 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

Hear what you expect to hear, is more like it:

https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/609045

Or, Auditory Scene Analysis ... introduced by Bregman nearly 20 years ago, to describe how the brain attempts to make sense of what it hears - so 'adjusts' what comes in, so that it fits in with patterns of sound you're familiar with - and allows you to ignore sounds that "aren't important", at that moment. An example: the phone rings, and you just don't hear it, because your mind is concentrating on other sounds, right at that minute.

Which works up to a point ... the brain has its limits - because we're human 😁 - and at some point the irritating, irrelevant sound element breaks through; and once it's there, in your consciousness, you can't get rid of it ... 😉.

41 minutes ago, fas42 said:

An example: the phone rings, and you just don't hear it, because your mind is concentrating on other sounds, right at that minute.

Depends on what you mean by "hear it,"  We have a grandfather clock that rings the hour and once on the half hour... I'm sure I "hear it" in the sense that my brain receives the input from my ears,  but my brain ignores it so I rarely "hear it" in the sense that I consciously register it.

not really sure how that fits into this conversation but I like to participate 😉

18 minutes ago, bbosler said:

Depends on what you mean by "hear it,"  We have a grandfather clock that rings the hour and once on the half hour... I'm sure I "hear it" in the sense that my brain receives the input from my ears,  but my brain ignores it so I rarely "hear it" in the sense that I consciously register it.

not really sure how that fits into this conversation but I like to participate 😉

It's about what makes listening to one DAC 'nicer' than another - they all produce distortion in a form which is measurable at some level; it has to be so, otherwise they would sound completely identical, would be impossible to pick them apart. Since they have 'character', which one is "best"? Well, to me, the one that allows the brain to focus on the positives of the recording, rather than the negatives, is the preferred - distortions which in an ideal world wouldn't be there are still in the sound space; but, I don't "hear them", 😉.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2021 at 7:00 AM, rruffin said:

Wondering what digital coax cable you are currently using and if you have done much experimenting?

Sorry @rruffin, missed this somehow. I have experimented with several and to cut to the chase, I like Oyaide DB-510 (?) as the budget best. I also really like Transparent Audio coax and Silnote: I am currently using Silnote (n.b., not Siltech) Audio AES. Their cables have been on a huge discount for a long time now...Joe Bob says "check it out."

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

• 5 months later...