IGNORED

Article: New Schiit Yggdrasil Blind Listening Comparison

I've found that after 24 hours of running, LiM sounds even better.

I was also worried that the treble would be a bit too rolled off, or so smoothed over that it would smother the details.

Happy to report that isn't what I'm hearing... 

This DAC may be the closest thing to a high-quality analog setup I've heard yet. Tho, I don't have a lot of experience with high-end vinyl or tape so... :)

I'd be curious if anyone else gets this general vibe tho.

7 minutes ago, bbosler said:

well, that's another $2300 or so  (with tax and shipping) that Chris has "forced" me to spend 😉

I've spent considerable time with many of the top end DACs (DCS Debussy with clock, DCS Rossini with clock, Chord DAVE with external supplies and the Mscaler, PS Audio whatever that was, Denafrips Terminator Plus with Hermes DDC) . After all of these trials I am convinced that the way to judge these DACs is how they make you feel, how well they connect you to the music, how they make you bob your head and tap your feet. Not all the usual audiophile BS that we read in all of the reviews. So we have good news and bad news.

Good news.. the Schiit is a contender. It is the type of device that further convinces me that spending mega-bucks on DACs is not required for mega-performance. I have no problem if you want to drop $100K + on a Vivaldi stack and add some $10K cables to it, I'm just saying you don't need to spend that to get superb performance.

Bad news.. the Schiit clearly sounds much better being fed by a Mutec MC3+ USB with Mutec REF10 to it's AES input than using the USB input...  I am using

Roon with HQPlayer >>> ethernet >>>Jussi recommended  Atom NAA >>> USB >>> Mutec >>> AES >>> Schiit

so open to the possibility that a different configuration for the USB, a different server, a different USB cable, etc. might level the field, but as is,   NAA >>> USB >>> Schiit is clearly inferior to adding in the Mutec gear. 

I know I am adding $6K of re-clocking gear to a $2K DAC. Oh well, a man has to do what a man has to do.... My vinyl rig has always been my reference but this is as close as I've gotten. Happy for now and we're only a few hours in.... hoping it gets even better

I love it!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

11 hours ago, bbosler said:

Happy for now

...............;)

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

On 9/15/2021 at 3:00 PM, feelingears said:

So back to the idea of flavors...I've posted elsewhere here that I've had the pleasure (without all the financial pain, thanks to a friend) of auditioning a Denafrips Pontus II, Chord Qutest, Wavelength "The Brick" N2, and a few other older DACs in my own system.

While I do hear that relative to one another there are differences, it's not so simple as better or best. To my ears, I'd say there is not even a linear scale or spectrum of qualities beyond some of the basic ones.

I don't want to write a review, so I'll just say Pontus does some remarkable things but apparently its passive output stage means you need to match it with the right preamp, as well as musical taste. The Qutest is the "robot" of the bunch and I can't quite explain how it presents tones vs the others though I've tried with my friend. And Yggy is not exactly in between those two, but sort of. And I'm talking about Yggy via SPDIF coax. Now that I'm running Yggy via AES using the balanced outs, well, that's yet another story.

In this way, "flavors" make a lot more sense (and I try hard to keep $ value out of the equation but of course that's difficult/impossible to do).

Wondering what digital coax cable you are currently using and if you have done much experimenting?

MacMini Quad i7/Audirvana Studio/USBridge DigiOne Signature Player/Schiit Yggdrasil GS/Aragon Palladium 1 amplifiers/Stacked Energy 22 speakers (Reference Connoisseur on bottom & Pro 22 on top) set tweeter to tweeter/Kimber Monocle XL speaker wires/Straightwire Crescendo & Virtuoso IC/Mordaunt Short 309 subwoofers

14 hours ago, bbosler said:

Bad news.. the Schiit clearly sounds much better being fed by a Mutec MC3+ USB with Mutec REF10 to it's AES input than using the USB input...  I am using

14 hours ago, bbosler said:

I know I am adding $6K of re-clocking gear to a $2K DAC.

Well, you probably will get very close using a Singxer SU-2 plus an AfterDark King clock with an Uptone LPS-1.2. 

It’s “interesting” that in your opinion or system Schiit hasn’t been able to make a proper USB interface. Hope I understand you correctly. 

Reading your conclusion, I find it even more attempting to test out this DAC. 

15 hours ago, bbosler said:

Bad news.. the Schiit clearly sounds much better being fed by a Mutec MC3+ USB with Mutec REF10 to it's AES input than using the USB input... 

The upcoming Schiit URD is also supposed to improve the input to the Yggdrasil. A comparison might be interesting.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)