IGNORED

Article: New Schiit Yggdrasil Blind Listening Comparison

45 minutes ago, PeterG said:

Chris's original review on the Yggy (best DAC unless you can spend 10X)

Really? That would be a silly thing for anyone to say, present company included.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

23 minutes ago, hopkins said:

I don't think you understand my point, and your example is not relevant here. 

I find Schitt's approach suspect, and a bit of a scam, to be honest. I expect a DAC manufacturer committing to offering the best product at a given price point. But whatever. 

I do not think it's a scam--they are not scam-type guys.  Pretty much the opposite.

But I take your point in general.  If they had a traditional marketing department, the guys there would be going bonkers because it is kind of confusing to have 3 to choose from without an apparent hierarchy

12 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Not really, they have 2 great sounding options and 1 for the people over at Audio Science Review...

;-)

I don't know about that. Jason and one of the others present preferred the MiL, no? From the sonic descriptions, I suspect I might too. I tend to go for highly resolving, and accommodate with complementary cables. How something sounds in my system does not define how it will sound in others'.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

2 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

I don't know about that. Jason and one of the others present preferred the MiL, no? From the sonic descriptions, I suspect I might too. I tend to go for highly resolving, and accommodate with complementary cables. How something sounds in my system does not define how it will sound in others'.

Not sure, I read the article late last night and must have missed the part about others preferences. I'll re-read it. I was, as I am positive you are aware, just trying to be funny.

No electron left behind.

2 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

In my opinion, LiM is the most resolving. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

5 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

In my opinion, LiM is the most resolving. 

I just re-read the article. I noticed you mentioned the OG has great tone and I sat back, closed my eyes, and listened as it is playing right now through the McIntosh. Yes, tone, that's what I love about this DAC. I prefer 24/192 through it to high rate DSD through the DA2 in the McIntosh.

No electron left behind.

Creative marketing, and gearing to build/sell as Demand starts to queue is not equal to scam.

Good luck to them.

I think they were taking a bit of a risk - the downside possibility that people who are technically thick or risk-averse might experience distress making a decision (not kidding) and lose confidence in the company ...

vs, the upside of getting everyone to talk about the launch - er - like this.

46 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Not sure, I read the article late last night and must have missed the part about others preferences. I'll re-read it. 

There were two other articles linked earlier in this Comments section.

58 minutes ago, PeterG said:

I do not think it's a scam--they are not scam-type guys.  Pretty much the opposite.

But I take your point in general.  If they had a traditional marketing department, the guys there would be going bonkers because it is kind of confusing to have 3 to choose from without an apparent hierarchy

For those who read this article, and follow Chris' opinion, it's all good as the best option is the cheapest ones. For others I do not see how they could make a choice. Not my problem anyway. 

Schiit has done similar things before - build multiple versions of a product. Give people choice. Then drop some units.

My guess is that they will drop one of the models after a few months if it doesn't sell well. Probably - the More is Less. That will leave them with 2 "high end" DACs with a significantly different price point. That will be less confusing to consumers. 

And as Superdad mentioned, the chip shortage could dictate what models they make and sell.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I think this is a great idea from Schiit. They know that not everyone listens the same, or hears the same, or has the same system, or wants the same thing, so they give people choices. It even costs LESS money! If you agree that this is all subjective, then you have to agree that 3 different DAC choices is good and may appeal to 3 different type of people.

My ears were perked up when Chris mentioned the tone of the OG. That's one of my favorite things about it and considering the descriptions of the other two it would require some listening on my own, in my system, to decide if I wanted to change. Notice, I did not say upgrade...

No electron left behind.

It's quite obvious, to me, from Chris's description that the LiM is the most accurate, by far, when used in that particular system. The signature of what you hear should be set by what's on the recording, rather than by a particular component in the chain - unless, of course, your interest is in editoralising, using the rig.