IGNORED

Article: New Schiit Yggdrasil Blind Listening Comparison

6 minutes ago, hopkins said:

Why are they selling several models if most agree that the cheaper one is better?

It's too bad that blind tests between DACs are not more common. 

Because options are good. Once more than a handful of opinions come out, who knows, maybe more people will love More is Less or OG. Either way, giving people the option is great. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Just now, hopkins said:

Options are great as long as more expensive equates greater value. Here they are saying: we provide different DACs at different price points but we are not going to tell you which is better. That's just stupid... IMO. 

Better is a subjective term. You seem to be advocating for the old school HiFi approach discussed in Jason's post about the new Yggys. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 minutes ago, Iving said:

But all other things are never equal. Your statement summarises the Supply factor correctly. The Demand factor is just as, if not more important in determining price.

We have 2 DACs designed and manufactured by the same company. Given how they were designed together, I think the vanilla and chocolate analogies are pretty accurate. 

3 minutes ago, Iving said:

Both vanilla and chocolate are irrelevant unless there is Demand. If you mean that the Prices of the respective models are determined by what it costs to make them, then the Manufacturer is perfectly entitled to reflect those costs in asking Price. But it is Demand that will determine Sales regardless of the price of vanilla and chocolate. Here we have an anomaly in which chocolate outperforms vanilla (by your account and you don't seem alone). Demand will determine Sales in a curious way. Chocolate will sell like crazy because (fuelled by favourable reviews) it will be in high Demand and it is cheap to make and, so, the price can be kept "unshocking". Vanilla will burn out quickly (expensive to make - higher Price - no or little Demand).

The cynic might think that More is Less was never intended to sell and Schiit have only made 2 or 3 units knowing this in advance. Do they have some clever marketing girls and guys? In contrast they have a warehouse of Less is More ready to ship out?

I'll just have to pass on this one. 

2 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

I don't know about that. Jason and one of the others present preferred the MiL, no? From the sonic descriptions, I suspect I might too. I tend to go for highly resolving, and accommodate with complementary cables. How something sounds in my system does not define how it will sound in others'.

In my opinion, LiM is the most resolving. 

3 minutes ago, mourip said:

This week I actually resorted to buying two moderately expensive DACs to compare to the one I bought recently just so I could find out for sure which would best fit my system.

3 minutes ago, mourip said:

it is hard to find good comparative review much less one surrounded with equipment similar to my own.

I certainly hear you, but I will not be able to get even close to satisfying your wishes. Our systems are very different, our rooms are very different, and our ears are very different. If you are interested in a more general comparison, that's something I can do. But, seeking very specific comparisons, is a tough road.

7 minutes ago, bbosler said:

well, that's another $2300 or so  (with tax and shipping) that Chris has "forced" me to spend 😉

I've spent considerable time with many of the top end DACs (DCS Debussy with clock, DCS Rossini with clock, Chord DAVE with external supplies and the Mscaler, PS Audio whatever that was, Denafrips Terminator Plus with Hermes DDC) . After all of these trials I am convinced that the way to judge these DACs is how they make you feel, how well they connect you to the music, how they make you bob your head and tap your feet. Not all the usual audiophile BS that we read in all of the reviews. So we have good news and bad news.

Good news.. the Schiit is a contender. It is the type of device that further convinces me that spending mega-bucks on DACs is not required for mega-performance. I have no problem if you want to drop $100K + on a Vivaldi stack and add some $10K cables to it, I'm just saying you don't need to spend that to get superb performance.

Bad news.. the Schiit clearly sounds much better being fed by a Mutec MC3+ USB with Mutec REF10 to it's AES input than using the USB input...  I am using

Roon with HQPlayer >>> ethernet >>>Jussi recommended  Atom NAA >>> USB >>> Mutec >>> AES >>> Schiit

so open to the possibility that a different configuration for the USB, a different server, a different USB cable, etc. might level the field, but as is,   NAA >>> USB >>> Schiit is clearly inferior to adding in the Mutec gear. 

I know I am adding $6K of re-clocking gear to a $2K DAC. Oh well, a man has to do what a man has to do.... My vinyl rig has always been my reference but this is as close as I've gotten. Happy for now and we're only a few hours in.... hoping it gets even better

I love it!