IGNORED

Article: New Schiit Yggdrasil Blind Listening Comparison

49 minutes ago, baldr said:

The boards were all made with my best efforts. None were gimped or boosted. It was an exercise in making a better Yggy. 

Really appreciate your comment as well as all of your contributions, Mike!

I placed an order for the LiM, and can't wait for it to arrive. Tho, I'm curious if you think there's more untapped potential to make the MiL chip truly sing through firmware updates given it's a newer chip design?

And it'd be super interesting to hear your thoughts on why you think it may be the case that the LiM ends up being your preferred choice?

Take care of yourself!

37 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

How about we “agree” upon the Yggdrasil’s is among top 3 or 5 (PCM) DAC’s ever built. 

Now, name me the others 😀

Not many DAC’s left with PCM only….

It’s interesting reading Schiit blog about DSD. I think their point of views was made before HQplayer got popular. But maybe still valid. Not that we shall discuss PCM vs DSD in this tread. 

But if a certain DAC should be added to the top 3 or 5 list ever built, and it happen to also do DSD, those capabilities won’t count in this particular list.

We can do another tread where best DAC ever including DSD. 

I guess. DSD could also just as easily go extinct in 5-10 years unless the very niche audience of audiophiles go out in droves to purchase it. Let's be real, most producers/publishers aren't even putting out lossless download options, let alone high-res or DSD/SACD. 

Now throw in the upcoming generations adoption of streaming... I'm glad Schiit focused all of their attention on PCM. I can just as easily convert DSD to PCM, and there's no audible loss to my ears.

I know the designer of Chord DACs mentioned you should typically just feed the native file and then let the DAC do its thing rather than upscaling/downscaling via software.

Sorry, my DSD tangent is over. :)

I've found that after 24 hours of running, LiM sounds even better.

I was also worried that the treble would be a bit too rolled off, or so smoothed over that it would smother the details.

Happy to report that isn't what I'm hearing... 

This DAC may be the closest thing to a high-quality analog setup I've heard yet. Tho, I don't have a lot of experience with high-end vinyl or tape so... :)

I'd be curious if anyone else gets this general vibe tho.

On 9/22/2021 at 10:57 AM, internethandle said:

Yeah, to this point, Unison USB input is very responsive in my experience to putting reclocking/conditioning before it in the chain. I’m using a JCAT Femto USB V2 card with LT3045 regulated LPS -> SOtM tX-USBultra Special Edition with Paul Hynes SR4T -> Unison input on my Less Is More Yggy to very good effect. Also had a noticeable improvement on A2/OG before it.

Still, there are quite a few folks who think that AES is the clearest and least colored input. One of these days I’ll get around to trying a Pi2AES with it, which a lot of people say compares favorably with solutions many times its price.

Currently using Pi2AES -> AES -> LiM. Yeah, the Pi2AES is money very well spent.