IGNORED

First Server Ideas

Hi, I have been reading through this site for many hours and there is a ton of info here! Here is my situation and I am hoping I can get some direction. My listening room has the audio equipment on one side and a desk/computer (PC) on the other. A couch is between them and that is where I listen. My speakers are on the long wall and it sounds pretty good. I use the PC mostly for photo editing and printing via Photoshop, etc. It is on a wireless network to the modem/wireless router in the next room. It has needed to be replaced for a longtime and now my CD player died so I thought that maybe I could get a Music Server/Photo Editing computer in one. I have been thinking about trying a Mac. Is that too much of a dream? Should I keep them separate?

Thanks for any help and I will keep searching this site!

John

Mac mini, iFi Audio iDAC2, Marantz SR6009, Furman Elite-15 PFI, NHT Sub Two i, Monitor Audio SoundFrame 2 On-Walls

Cary, NC

Hi John:

I'm not the computer expert overflowing with knowledge, but if you are looking into acquiring a new Mac Pro, you should have no problems with the task of using Photoshop and playing music. The new Quad Core is blazing fast, comes with a PCI-E 2.0 slot for seriously fast graphics cards, and two PCI-E slots for additional boards, and four easy to load HDD bays. Many people perform video and sound editing on a simple Quad Core. I have employees who use Photoshop and listen to music all day without sacrificing any performance.

The only bottleneck you might experience is not having enough RAM. I don't know the size of files you edit and print. However, I do have a few suggestions. If you are running a color management program with a number of color profiles using colorimeters and/or spectrophotometers, or using a custom RIP, or especially RIPing large files to an 8 color printer, then you may want to start thinking of at least 4GB, or even better 8GB of RAM. When editing high resolution files the bottleneck of multi tasking will be a combination of RAM and Hard Drives, but on a Mac Pro with 8GB of RAM writing to RAID 0 drives, you can handle all but the largest files so fast it will make the average PC workstation look lame. Add dual 24" or 30" EIZO Color Edge monitors for that extra high quality touch.

For the ultimate high end Photoshop workstation you may want to consider the new 8 Core Mac Pro. With a RAID card (hardware RAID controllers are more reliable and faster than software RAID), and sound board, well... not much out there that can compete. The down side is the cost, Mac Pro 8 Core can start at around $8,000 for a basic system. Overkill? Definitely. But from past experience, I like the old saying "when in doubt, always go for More Power."

daphne

Thanks for the reply Daphne! I currently don't use RIP but I know to use plenty of RAM with Photoshop ;-) Probably start with 8GB. I am concerned with noise while listening to music. I don't want to hear the computer running during quiet passages. The computer would be about 9 feet away from the listening position. I don't plan on serious listening while working on photos so I'm less concerned with computing power. Since the room is 19.5 feet wide, I would need to run a cable longer than that to connect with the audio equipment so, that is something I need to work out. I was thinking of a NAS for storage and access it wirelessly- not sure if Photoshop will like that though. I plan on going to the Apple store and attempt to hear how quiet a Mac Pro is.

John

Mac mini, iFi Audio iDAC2, Marantz SR6009, Furman Elite-15 PFI, NHT Sub Two i, Monitor Audio SoundFrame 2 On-Walls

Cary, NC

We have both an iMac and Macbook within less than 10 feet from my potato lounger. I can't hear either one of them unless ripping a CD. Maybe if playing a DVD. But then again you can hear most DVD players. Now when ripping, I think sometimes things get a little hot because iTunes is working overtime to figure things out and the iMacs fan kicks in thus it tries to launch. That you can sure hear. But for normal stuff, like surfing or whatnot they are both very quiet. MacBook probably moreso.

External storage drives - different story. Can hear that.

Not sure if Photoshop would cause an iMac to attempt to take off or not. But I don't think you would find the noise offensive with the thing operating with low processor load.

Of course you might have ears like an owl. Mine are more like Dumbo.

Went to the Apple store the other day and I think the Mac Pro will be quiet enough in the listening room. The stores machine had just 1 hard drive installed and I would probably install a 2nd as Photoshop does much better with a separate "scratch" disk. Will just going directly from the Mac to my preamp via the Devilsound DAC cable be on par with CD sound from a mid-range CD player? Not sure I can go all the way with a better DAC right now.

Cary, NC

Great! That's what I wanted to hear. What about my distance from computer to preamp? Probably 24' to play it safe. Can I extend the Devilsound DAC?

Cary, NC

I have been out to the Devilsound site but can find no way to contact someone. No email, no phone number. How do I find out if I can use this cable in my system- need about 24' total length.

Cary, NC