IGNORED

2 Channel user reviews vs Headphone user reviews

Cogito

Over the last few months I enjoyed the reviews of DACs by few headphone users.  Never gave it a second thought. One of my fav review in this category is @GoldenOne

Just now I received an email notification of a new review by GoldenOne. Immediately clicked on the link which took me to YouTube.  In the first 10 seconds of the review I heard this statement by GoldenOne

The speakers vs headphones debate will probably rage on till the end of time. But one thing we can all agree you do miss out when using headphones is that in your chest full body experience you get with a powerful 2 channel setup especially with a subwoofer.

In your chest full body experience is neither a sought after nor a desired in quality 2 channel stereo setups. The description sounds like it belongs to HT setups.  Yes, we use powerful subwoofers in 2 channel stereo, but the goal of them is accurate reproduction of low frequencies, not huge SPL levels. Probably that is why, HT subwoofers are seldom used in 2 channel stereo systems.

The product being reviewed is woojer Vest-Edge.  This looks like an adaptation of old Bass Shaker for the gaming industry.

The reason I mention this is, now I am wondering if the headphone use reviewers have different criteria for the gear than the 2 channel stereo user reviewers.

@GoldenOne this is not an attack on you, a legitimate question to context to the reviews.

3 hours ago, the_bat said:

I disagree.  The felt pulse as a drum is hit is definitely a desired quality in my 2 channel stereo setups.

Hmmm, when did I say bass is not important?

I am specifically responding to the quote, "your chest full body experience". 

There is a huge difference between the quality of bass in a Home Theater and a 2-channel music system. Home theater bass is all about "chest thumping" experience when the bombs explode. Its all about SPL levels. In 2-channel music system, tightness and accuracy of the mass is the sought after quality. Music subwoofer should be able to reproduce all the low frequency vibrations and their harmonics of a Cello or Bass Guitar. It should delicately express the power and fullness of Barry White.

2-channel music subwoofers have typically large sealed cabinets. Emphasis is on accuracy not SPL. HT subwoofers have usually small and ported cabinets, as venting makes the sub reproduce lower frequencies as higher SPL at the expense of accuracy. 

As a matter of fact, many audiophiles avoid subwoofers completely.  Bass drivers are high-passed around 30-40Hz to avoid muddying the entire music with inaccurate sub-bass reproductions.

On 9/9/2021 at 3:19 PM, GoldenOne said:

Perhaps I could have worded it better in the review. I'm not so much meaning the deep/weighty rumble that you might want in a home theatre or movie sort of setup. 

Im meaning the full body 'presence' that is missing when you use headphones. 

Thanks for the clarification.

On 9/9/2021 at 3:19 PM, GoldenOne said:

As someone who spent considerable time growing up as part of orchestras and listening to live music of various genres, this was something that was there in live music, there in good two channel setups, overdone and distracting in many home theatre setups, but absent in headphones

Human anatomy is designed to specially locate the sources of sounds in all directions. With headphones, all the sounds originate at the ears. All the spacial clues are permanently lost. Sound stage is pretty much restricted between the ears. A two channel system aided by an acoustically treated room can provide the spacial clues of the stage in front of the listener. Sound stage can be 10-15 behind the speakers and extend beyond the speakers sideways.

1 hour ago, John Dyson said:
4 hours ago, Cogito said:

Well, the spatial cues of the circumstance of the original recording are permanently imprinted on the signal.

The spatial cues for the listening environment are added to the recording as it was originally made with ITS own ambience and timing.

The key is how the original recording is made.   If you listen to a true stereo recording, then the headphones can come somewhat close to the original environment during where the recording was made.

Think about it this way.

Stereo recordings are made with two mics. Your 2-channel system speakers are reproducing the sounds each mic heard. If the speakers are spaced right next to each other, you will not hear any soundstage.  Move the speakers few feet apart and you start perceiving the soundstage.  This demonstrates that the presence of spacial clues in the source material is not enough to create the sound stage, sound must emanate from a similar position as the mics recording them. There is no way to mimic the position of the mics with headphones.