IGNORED

Article: Easily My Album Of The Year

45 minutes ago, Iving said:

But objective can and probably does mean a common reference point for humans

Honestly, no offense intended, really...but this is a very Western/intellectual position.

I have no axe to grind with either group, or with the estate of Mr. Rothko, but would it be a reach to think it would be easy to find "humans" from various cultures and backgrounds that wouldn't think any particular piece of art (including music here since we're in this thread) was...artful, beautiful, exciting, etc.? 

Art and culture and intelligence and emotion are a real jumble to decipher.

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

26 minutes ago, PeterG said:

But it is not the case that non-Westerners cannot differentiate or rank art--they would have their own culture, art, and history behind them.  They would be able to differentiate and rank their own culture's art. 

...yeah, I was writing about the cross-cultural aspects, NOT that other cultures lack ability to determine beauty in a way that makes sense/is codified to them.  

Loading up your neck with rings, poking holes in yourself...list goes on...is beautiful to some.

Putting a crucifix in a tank of piss is high-art to some. I saw a person nailed to a car. Art? Sure, if you have an open mind.

But not my cup of fur.

I ran a race in the 70s and the prize was Born to Run. I was crushed. I put it in my mom's oven on a cookie sheet and melted it. And I never really liked the Beatles either, since I'm sharing.

Fire at will...

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png