IGNORED

Article: Easily My Album Of The Year

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

It’s art, there’s no such thing as appropriate. 

So Chris are you saying there is no such thing as “bad art” or “bad technique”? Everything is subjective? 

C.A.P. Pipeline, windows pro 10 > Roon > SOtM USB > Keces power supply > HDplex power supply > 4x2 HD Mini DSP > Ayre DSD QB-9 > Naim CDX > ModWright 9 S.E. Preamp > A21 Parasound Amplifier > Magnepan .7 > Augie's Dipole sub, ML sub, DIY sub > Dedicated room with acoustical treatment.

3 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Everyone will have different opinions on the worthiness of an opinion as well... where do you draw the line? regarding art/music it is purely subjective.

If music/art is purely subjective, then what’s the big deal for a given artist to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?  Are they inducted purely on the subjectivity of the 38 individuals who vote, or do they have some guiding principles, dare I say absolutes in determining who gets inducted?  
    I am not saying subjectivity dose not play a role in determining what I like or don’t like. But there is the reality called talent, a voice being pitch perfect, levels of proficiency in mastering a instrument. In all human endeavors, abilities, talent, giftedness, and discipline is not a matter of subjectivity; otherwise mediocrity would be the standard. 
 Sam

C.A.P. Pipeline, windows pro 10 > Roon > SOtM USB > Keces power supply > HDplex power supply > 4x2 HD Mini DSP > Ayre DSD QB-9 > Naim CDX > ModWright 9 S.E. Preamp > A21 Parasound Amplifier > Magnepan .7 > Augie's Dipole sub, ML sub, DIY sub > Dedicated room with acoustical treatment.

“Our opinions become fixed at the point where we stop thinking”  Renan

It would seem that there is not a lot of thinking going on in this thread- just my humbled opinion😁

In the post modern world that is a washed in relativity, “objective truth” is hard to come by.  You remove object truth from reality, then all you have is ones experience - his or her truth (opinion) there is no more effective way to shut down thoughtful, meaningful debate than to claim - “dude it’s my truth” you can’t argue against someone’s experience or taste! Thus we have elevated experience over objective truth, hence we have a lot of non thinking people - just a lot of opinions that can’t be challenged or fact checked.  
     There are objective standards that goes into writing, composing and delivering music. As there is in painting, producing movies and etc.

The dictionary defines opinion: 

“a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty”.   More thinking is require! 
      Finally, we audiophiles have a very high standard when it comes to recording production.  We can come to a objective consensus determining which recordings is good or bad, it’s not a opinion - it’s true! 
  I would suggest that when it comes to recording producers, which I believe is a art form- there are mediocre and very accomplished producers; just as there are with music artists.  
    Sam 

Would it be fair to say that all forms of art is rooted in “objective truth of reality? In other words, all of creation, in its beauty, order, function serves a purpose- and a big part of that purpose is for humans to recreate, by way of our senses. We do not create out of nothing- hence all of art is a reflection that is rooted in objected truth about our selves and the world we live in. 
   That’s the amazing thing about art, we enjoy it for the art in itself, because we all have a common reference point in the world in which we have our being. 

Yes I agree! This debate we are having should not be about one or the other, subjective versus objective. When both have equal value. They do not need to be opposing; the artist reflect objective truth from the world he lives in through his or her Unique artistic expression. I the beholder form a opinion, reflection or experience a emotional response to what I am seeing or hearing. 
 Sam 

21 minutes ago, PeterG said:

It captures the angst and hope, the despair and the dream,  in every one of us

I really like the way you articulated “objective truth” in your conclusion. Hope, despair and dreams are not subjective. We as humans have at one time or another have experience these, and have knowledge what theses three attributes mean. Now I may not like the voice or the genre and perhaps the quality of the recording; this is purely subjective on my part. 
    I could be misguided in working out my thinking on this topic, I sure appreciate all the perspective being share on this forum! 
  Thank you!   Sam