IGNORED

Article: Easily My Album Of The Year

12 minutes ago, PeterG said:

When you say unfortunately "popular" like Cecile McLorin Salvant, you confuse me--there is no one else on the planet who sings like Cecile.  

While I'll admit she has an amazing voice... how she uses it and how the music is performed are not to my liking. I only say this to highlight the fact that which artist or music someone likes is 100% subjective and none are better or worse. There are people who actually like Nickelback... As hard as that is for me to comprehend.

No electron left behind.

13 minutes ago, PeterG said:

I understand that's your point, but I disagree.  Mainly because I don't think you're the only one with your opinion, and also that some opinions are worth more than others.

Everyone will have different opinions on the worthiness of an opinion as well... where do you draw the line? regarding art/music it is purely subjective.

No electron left behind.

8 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Here's another example of how to transform the familiar into something completely new and original.

Anyone who can't see the artistry in this is dead to me... 👺

She also ruined, uhm, I meant covered, The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face and I don't like it at all despite thinking it had great potential.

No electron left behind.

29 minutes ago, shum3s said:

If music/art is purely subjective, then what’s the big deal for a given artist to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?  Are they inducted purely on the subjectivity of the 38 individuals who vote, or do they have some guiding principles, dare I say absolutes in determining who gets inducted?  
    I am not saying subjectivity dose not play a role in determining what I like or don’t like. But there is the reality called talent, a voice being pitch perfect, levels of proficiency in mastering a instrument. In all human endeavors, abilities, talent, giftedness, and discipline is not a matter of subjectivity; otherwise mediocrity would be the standard. 
 Sam

Then how do you explain Nickelback? Or any of the awful bands just like them?

No electron left behind.

1 minute ago, hopkins said:

I'm all for covers, and there are many artists I love who are not composers and don't perform originals. But in Billie Holiday's case this version she sang in 1935 is so perfect that everything pales in comparison. There are plenty of famous singers who covered it after, plenty that I like, but it always seems like a futile effort 😂 

In. Your. Opinion.

No electron left behind.

8 minutes ago, Rexp said:

Visual art is very subjective, if you asked non arty people what they prefer, a grand master or an average modern painting, you'd get a 50/50 split. On the other hand if you asked non music lovers to compare a classic original song to an average cover version, most would go for the original. So if there is concensus something is better, it is better. 

That would mean Britney Spears is better than say, Nina Simone...

No electron left behind.

2 hours ago, Rexp said:

A Britney cover of a Nina original judged better by the majority? I dont think so. But I take your point. How about 'its better within its genre, if the majority prefer it'?

A majority doesn't make a thing right or better... I can come up with more examples if you want? 

No electron left behind.

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Britney is a great entertainer. I've seen her live. That said, I don't get the irony. Because art is subjective, some people think Britney is great while others don't. Some thing Nina Simone is great while others don't. I like both entertainers. 

Thats not my point. More people liking Britney would make her "better" according to the majority criteria. My point was to make clear that's not a very good metric to use because this is subjective. I bet most here don't think Britney is better than Nina. I chose Britney on purpose.

No electron left behind.