Jump to content
IGNORED

External line output converter for subwoofer


Recommended Posts

To replace my two REL t5's I am now looking at a few 10 and 12 inch subs. Most of the ones I would prefer and are within budget seem to lack a high end (speaker cables) input. For instance Swedish XTZ dropped these for their higher end models. When I asked them they replied

"You should be able to use simple high-level to low-level converters as that is basically the same circuitry that is used in amps with the same functionality. Unfortunately I don't have a concrete example of a converter to use. My suggestion is that you check with stores that have them and check online forums for tips on which specific converters have the best sound quality etc."

(Of course the amp he mentions is the active amp in the sub.)

 

Does anyone have experience with such line output converters (often used for car audio) in a home audio setup, or any recommendations?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Why isn’t RCA/XLR an option?

 

Because my amp combo (The Truth preamp and Reimyo KAP-777) are here to stay for a while and do not have an additional line out. I have tried with an RCA Y splitter but this degraded the overall SQ, perhaps related to impedances.

 

Fyi, speakers are TAD ME1.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bodiebill said:

Does anyone have experience with such line output converters (often used for car audio) in a home audio setup, or any recommendations?

These are simple voltage dividers and, if they have sufficiently high input impedance, should have no effect on your main amp/speaker channel.  You can buy them or make them as they are quite simple resistor networks.  You will need one for each channel.

 

However, this arrangement will not provide any rolloff of the bass from your main speakers and limits your ability to integrate the sub with them. 

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

These are simple voltage dividers and, if they have sufficiently high input impedance, should have no effect on your main amp/speaker channel.  You can buy them or make them as they are quite simple resistor networks.  You will need one for each channel.

 

However, this arrangement will not provide any rolloff of the bass from your main speakers and limits your ability to integrate the sub with them. 

 

Thanks Kai, trying to understand...

In terms of bass roll-off the use of two of these converters would not be any different than sending the line level signal from an additional full (i.e. not one marked 'sub') line output on the preamp -- if that would be available. And bass roll-off would be done by the sub's active amp, correct? 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bodiebill said:

In terms of bass roll-off the use of two of these converters would not be any different than sending the line level signal from an additional full (i.e. not one marked 'sub') line output on the preamp -- if that would be available.

Correct.

7 hours ago, bodiebill said:

And bass roll-off would be done by the sub's active amp, correct? 

For the subwoofer, of course, but I was referring to your inability to roll-off the bass in your main speakers to integrate them with the bass now being provided by the sub.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Correct.

For the subwoofer, of course, but I was referring to your inability to roll-off the bass in your main speakers to integrate them with the bass now being provided by the sub.

 

For that an external active crossover could be used I guess, although I am reluctant to add yet another component.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bodiebill said:

For that an external active crossover could be used I guess, although I am reluctant to add yet another component.

It's your choice but I would not add a subwoofer without an effective way to integrate it with the rest of the system.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If I understand correctly, your goal is to use a better cable than the standard REL connection which works off of the main speaker connects.  Is that right?  If so--I am a big believer in high end cables, but I think this would be a mistake--you'd basically be second guessing the REL engineers with a kluge.  Very few companies understand subs as well as REL, and if they think their unique connection is best, I'd stop there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PeterG said:

If I understand correctly, your goal is to use a better cable than the standard REL connection which works off of the main speaker connects.  Is that right?  If so--I am a big believer in high end cables, but I think this would be a mistake--you'd basically be second guessing the REL engineers with a kluge.  Very few companies understand subs as well as REL, and if they think their unique connection is best, I'd stop there.

 

No. The thing is that I may not be able to use the high level Speakon cables, as the subwoofer does not allow for them. Hence my question.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...