IGNORED

Is it now possible to add and play FLAC and MP3 files on iOS like you can on Android?

I would like to get a new iPod to use with a DAC/AMP, but I recall Apple being closed off to adding your own files and playing them freely, like you can on Android.

Is it now possible to plug the latest iPhones into a computer and copy FLAC and MP3 files over. Then play them through a 3rd party app? 

I want to avoid converting files and iTunes.

Thanks. 

14 hours ago, BnG_Murphy said:

I would like to get a new iPod to use with a DAC/AMP, but I recall Apple being closed off to adding your own files and playing them freely, like you can on Android.

Is it now possible to plug the latest iPhones into a computer and copy FLAC and MP3 files over. Then play them through a 3rd party app? 

I want to avoid converting files and iTunes.

Thanks. 

I use Onkyo HF Player for my iPhone, which can play FLAC, DSD, etc. In order for the files to appear in the iPhone, you need iTunes, but only as a media to add files. That is, the files are added to the sharing window in iTunes and are sent to the iPhone via the sync function. The files are not converted or copied into iTunes itself.