IGNORED

How many are still using their PonoPlayer?

5 hours ago, audiobomber said:

I had an A&K AK300 for a couple of days. My LG G8 ThinQ mobile phone sounded better, and allowed to use various music players rather than being tied to the more limited internal software. The phone sounded better than the AK, especially with USB Audio Player Pro software. The AK is limited to 64GB internal storage and a 128GB SD card, the phone has internal storage and allows up to 1TB with micro SD. Plus I never have to carry two devices. Darko has a series of six articles titled "The DAP days are over". I agree with him.

https://darko.audio/2018/06/the-dap-days-are-over-part-3-lg-v30/

I have not tried an LG phone, and my A&K was a bit higher up on the food chain than yours, but it's difficult to imagine a cell phone having an internal DAC that can compete with an A&K or Pono.

My A&K did not get a direct comparison to my Pono because I upgraded ear buds simultaneously--but both sounded very good and were worth the weight on top of my iPhone (on the plane trips I no longer take...sob).   But maybe the best solution today is halfway in between--a cell phone with an external dongle DAC such as a Dragonfly?

19 hours ago, audiobomber said:

Clearly you did not watch the video, which addresses your questions. A cell phone with Dragonfly Red is not superior to an LG Quad DAC: 

https://darko.audio/2018/06/the-dap-days-are-over-part-3-lg-v30/

Ha!  Thanks for your persistence.  The first time I tried the link, it would not connect, so I lost interest.  Googling separately, I have now watched. 

For those who have not watched the video--I see that Darko loves the LG and that it is "easily the equal of the iPhone plus Dragonfly" which he had been using instead of the Sony DAP.  If I were an Android guy, I would probably buy an LG phone.  But if my A&K died tomorrow, I would probably replace it with a Dragonfly into my iPhone.

Also, props to both you and LG!   I love that they have made a phone with great sound quality.  Apple has been a negative influence on hifi in a whole bunch of ways.  That really irks me.