IGNORED

Product Purchasing Factors

Hi Guys, I’m working on something, and could use the community’s input. 

Task: Please rank the factors you use when purchasing products. 

Include whatever is important to you, whatever that is. Doesn’t matter to me. 

Some of the items I consider are support, price, build quality, aesthetics, origin, comfort, ease of use, longevity, health of the company, people at the company (I like to spend my money with good people), etc…

This list also changes based on product price or what it does. When I purchased my Wilson Alexia speakers I went through all the criteria. When I purchased a cheap USB enclosure for my music backup hard drive, I skipped many of the criteria. 

Your input here will help me, help you :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1. Other people's experiences, as expressed in online reviews, comments, exchanges, etc, are all essentially positive. Very few negatives found by them; key words in the description of the performance are used.

2. Value for money; no more spent on bling, which I then have to pay for, than necessary

3. The company behind the product has a history of producing products that deliver; interviews, etc, with the people inside show that they know to engineer, design and implement for results, and that they can "think outside the square".

4. Best possible warranty 😁

1) Functionality: Does it do what I want and can my wife operate the device (2nd point fails most of the time)

2) Reliability: real or perceived

3) Cost

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

1. People at the company (I like to spend my money with good people) -  Though not actually a purchase consideration, this is kind of a non-negotiable for me. If a company won't stand behind its product, that just foreshadows customer support issues down the road (because the company's product is probably also crappy or unreliable).

2. Sound Quality - If it doesn't sound good nothing else matters

3. Build Quality - Will I have reliability issues. If so, that can be a non-starter for me

4. Aesthetics & Form Factor - Equipment that fits my aesthetics preferences (minimal with a preference for black faceplates) & that fit into my media console's shelf width are important concerns for me. I don't want a listening room that looks like it has racks and equipment from a science lab.

5. Price - To a degree, I'm not so sensitive about price, but I am value conscious about audio products. I figure out what level of product meets my expectations and then figure out if that is a price that I'm willing to pay.  I believe there is a point of diminishing returns on the cost-to-sound quality scale and try to find products close to that price point.

6. Company Health - That does matter to a degree and is more important for digital components. I figure that there are a greater number of people that can repair analog components.

Most things are already mentioned. What is more and more important to me:

- Reliable company with proven products (I do not mind paying a McIntosh-price if a get a McIntosh build quality and service) and a reliable dealer.

- User interface (my hobbyhorse, most apps a fine for rock, but quite disastrous for classical, a problem if you don't like Roon).

- Value for money (I like the Mc MHA 200, but it's way overpriced in the Netherlands, so looking for something different).

- The most important one: WAF (my wife et moi share this hobby).

What a great question.....If you asked me that 5 years ago, I would say online reviews, impulse, looks. These days I don't think I would buy anything without discussing it on this forums. So many amazing people on this Forum. What I know today is completely different to what I knew before I joined the forum. The contribution from this forum has taken my system to levels I thought would never be possible. 

At a push I would maybe ask for home demo, but then again could end up on impulse. 

16 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

What a great question.....If you asked me that 5 years ago, I would say online reviews, impulse, looks. These days I don't think I would buy anything without discussing it on this forums. So many amazing people on this Forum. What I know today is completely different to what I knew before I joined the forum. The contribution from this forum has taken my system to levels I thought would never be possible. 

At a push I would maybe ask for home demo, but then again could end up on impulse. 

On the other hand, I've been buying some components that I probably didn't find out about without reading this forum for years. I don't have them anymore, no need.

Here's mine

I categorize the first four below as all being equally important. If a product fails in any one of those #1 priorities then it gets eliminated from my list even if it matches perfectly against all other priorities.

1. Does the product description advertise being able to do all the things I need it to do

1. How many documented cases are there around the web of said product where existing owners have confirmed that the product can indeed do all the things it was advertised to be able to do

1. Is it reliable and trouble free to operate

1. Does the product measure well on the test bench with nothing but great specs across the board

2. How many Users of the product are there (in a general sense. If I Google for the product is there one hit or hundreds) If there is no or a very low existing User base then I'll pass on the product. If there is a decent size User base, what kind of systems is it being used with and are any of them similar to mine. I've been a Giuena Pig several times before and it was a very expensive mistake each time.

3. Country of origin

4. Price

Believe it or not, it's actually hard to get me to part with money. The more something costs, the more difficult it is. That said here are my considerations when considering a new piece of equipment.

1) Will it provide a tangible benefit or improvement to my enjoyment of the music?

2) Who or what is standing behind this product?

a) how mature is this product?

b) what does support look like?

3) Is this something that will last a long time, reliably?

4) if it's not 100% perfect for my needs right now, will it grow into what I want and will the company put in the time and effort to update it along the way?

a) Am I willing to live with the compromises until then?

5) Is the cost of the item justifiable in terms of increasing my enjoyment of the music?

6) Is it made in America? Can I buy it locally?

These are some off the top of my head after a bit of thought on the subject.

No electron left behind.

Before I buy either new or used I try to check all of these boxes. If I can’t I’m likely out so they are pretty much equally important. Buying used or without listening first seems to change the process for me. I would much prefer to listen first but that’s not always possible where I live and unlikely with used equipment.

If buying new equipment:

1. How will it improve my system?

2. Sound quality. 
3. Is it a good value for what I must pay for it?

4. Reputation of the manufacturer. Extra credit for made in the US.

5. Any input I can get from trusted dealers or reviewers.

If buying used and/or I can’t listen before buying:

1. How might it improve my system?

2. Reputation of the item from trusted reviewers
3. Am I getting it for a fair price?

4. Condition of the item if used 

5.  Known service issues if used

6. Can I recover most of my money if I decide it isn’t what I hoped it would be?

• 1 month later...

In no particular order:

• Performance - Needs to meet my specs
  • Safety Certification (UL Listed)
  • Positive reviews by real people - since it's impossible to try everything out in person before buying, these days.
  • User interface
  • Types and number of inputs/outputs
  • Value
  • Affordability
  • Likely longevity - I don't want it to wear out in less than 40 years

For example, I applied these criteria when buying my Onkyo A-9050 to replace my old Sony A/V receiver.

• Performance - Sever people I trusted recommended it, saying it would give a cleaner output than my old Sony. It has a built-in phono amp.
  • Safety certification - it is UL Listed (the competing Yamaha I was looking at was done by a cut-rate agency)
  • Positive reviews - Nearly 100% satisfaction among reviewers, over hundreds of reviews, many specifically saying that it is a huge leap better than a typical A/V receiver
  • User interface - It is simple; a few buttons and a few knobs. Display of which input is being used could be better; it just has a tiny single LED above some printing on the face of the unit.
  • Types and number of inputs/outputs - It is adequate to my needs; with a few digital inputs of different types and a few analog ones
  • Value - It was a good value, which is a mix of performance I need at a price I could afford.
  • Affordability - As above
  • Likely longevity - I don't want it to wear out in less than 40 years. I like the idea of durable, serviceable products made for the long run.
  • 3 months later...

One item not previously referenced that is of growing importance to me: Who else on Audiophile Style chose this for their system?

There are lots of voices here that I greatly respect, but I have also found that only some of those voices line up with my choices in musical taste and their choice of equipment.  My preference for jazz & classical likely means I will prefer different equipment than someone focused on rock & hip hop... Similarly, since I prefer the sound of my Magnepan speakers, I tend to align more with the equipment choices made by others preferring those speakers than, say, those who go for the Wilson Audio or B&W sound.  In a world where it seems we have finally gotten rid of the "does analog or digital sound better" debate, this feels like a step backward, but maybe all it really says is that even with all our forward progress, some equipment has done a better job of capturing the essence of certain musical styles and we are not yet at the "this is best for all types of music" level of performance.  

The other interesting perspective comes from watching Audiogon and seeing which used equipment gets snatched up super quickly and which brands seem to have a lot of reselling going on.

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

8 minutes ago, sdolezalek said:

One item not previously referenced that is of growing importance to me: Who else on Audiophile Style chose this for their system?

There are lots of voices here that I greatly respect, but I have also found that only some of those voices line up with my choices in musical taste and their choice of equipment.  My preference for jazz & classical likely means I will prefer different equipment than someone focused on rock & hip hop... Similarly, since I prefer the sound of my Magnepan speakers, I tend to align more with the equipment choices made by others preferring those speakers than, say, those who go for the Wilson Audio or B&W sound.  In a world where it seems we have finally gotten rid of the "does analog or digital sound better" debate, this feels like a step backward, but maybe all it really says is that even with all our forward progress, some equipment has done a better job of capturing the essence of certain musical styles and we are not yet at the "this is best for all types of music" level of performance.  

The other interesting perspective comes from watching Audiogon and seeing which used equipment gets snatched up super quickly and which brands seem to have a lot of reselling going on.

Great points. 

Reading what people talk about versus what they/others purchase for their own systems is interesting. Also, knowing yourself is probably the most important factor. If you know you like Maggies, then the product of the year for a horn speaker isn't going to push you into consumerism overdrive. It's just another opinion on another speaker that doesn't fit with your taste. 

Equipment turnover is an indicator of something, but I'm not sure what. I have many thoughts on this. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png