IGNORED

Coax in Office - How to Get Wired Connection to Desktop?

1 minute ago, R1200CL said:

This one ?

https://mikrotik.com/product/crs305_1g_4s_in

And you can’t access it ?

What OS ? RouterOS or SwOS ?

Yes, that's the one.  Currently can't access it, correct. Don't know which OS - is there a way to find out without accessing via the web interface?

(By the way, the FMCs are on their way back to Amazon already, so no testing throughput.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

6 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

That could be a limitation of the phone. My iPad is better than my iPhone as an example. PC being worse. (And I know why). AppleTV may get a good result. Did you test ?

This is real world wireless speed, not nominal.  I'm plenty happy with that.  The next phone I get should have Wi-Fi 6E and may be able to use all the wireless speed the routers can put out.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

@R1200CL and @Duke40, great idea.  Thanks so much for the help!

Had more trouble a few weeks ago when adding a 2nd CRS305 via 10Gbe optical connection to connect to Amplifi Alien WiFi 6 mesh, and even the above did not work. So, I was kind of doing something similar to what you will be achieving.

What got it going was following "How to boot into SwOS and How to fix SwOS no boot condition. Mikrotik CRS317" on YouTube. Its even a more convoluted process, but it did get it accessible, so I could configure it. During setup I upgraded the firmware of RouterOS prior to changing to SwitchOS, which I would consider good practice (and I did this with my first CRS305), though unfortunately a recent RouterOS firmware software update has a bug when changing to SwitchOS, it gets into a reboot loop and resets the CRS305 IP address to 0.0.0.0.

Prior to resetting (this really should be a last choice), maybe just try directly connecting to the MGMT port of your MikroTik and see if you can connect via WinBox64 app, or web browser.

Apologies for long winded post, though I experienced issues initially connecting to both of my MikroTik CRS305 switchs, though now able to access MikroTiks via web browser on my laptop via wifi now.

Both CRS305 been rock solid running SwitchOS since then. 

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

1 minute ago, Duke40 said:

Had more trouble a few weeks ago when adding a 2nd CRS305 via 10Gbe optical connection to connect to Amplifi Alien WiFi 6 mesh, and even the above did not work. So, I was kind of doing something similar to what you will be achieving.

Did you set the 2nd Mikrotik's internal IP address manually or were you able to allow the router to hand it out?

20 minutes ago, Jud said:

Did you set the 2nd Mikrotik's internal IP address manually or were you able to allow the router to hand it out?

Initially I set the 2nd CRS305 internal IP address as static, so manually.

Once I got the MikroTiks configured how I wanted, then I changed to "DHCP with Fallback" in Address Acquistion field of the "System" tab of SwitchOS. 

You could also choose "DHCP" so the router hands it out. 

Have tried both options "DHCP" and "DHCP with Fallback", they both work fine ... I just liked "Static" for the initial configuration so I could finish setting it properly.

image.thumb.png.cd30a5238fc5dad2b7a88696f91ff8fa.png

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

19 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

If in a managed switch or quality router would like to lower the traffic between the audio devices to absolutely only necessary, what technics would you use ?

Just getting this out of the way: Isolation means devices have no dependencies between each other...

Layer 2 would be VLAN and VACL (MAC address access control lists). Also called 'client isolation' by many vendors. That would be the two primary L2 options.

Layer 3: I would used IPV6 as there aren't any broadcasts and IPV4's IGMP and PIM Sparse/Dense are baked into the protocol for multicasts.  Additionally You can do VLAN isolation with a RACL (Router Access Control Lists) and prevent traffic from other vlans from even getting to your Audio only vlans.

18 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Hi @Jud

I assume you switch to fiber bachhaul. Did wireless speed improve?

Have you deployed fiber from Mikrotik to EtherRegen?

The other two Mikrotiks I need to make the fiber connections don't arrive until tomorrow or a bit later, so I'll find out then.

I suppose I could try running fiber to the EtherRegen, but at least at first I'll be connecting through the ASUS router.

57 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

The two next Mikrotik’ s is same CRS305, or did you choose the 610-8G-2S+IN in order to get more RJ45 ports ?

D6596FDF-117F-4F49-81EE-0C069B44756F.thumb.jpeg.32d02138d5c0b5d3b36a284419cb87c3.jpeg

Same CRS305 - the ASUS router has 4 RJ45 ports, and currently that's more than I need.

Listening for the first time since I made the changes. Obviously the power of suggestion may well be playing into this, but I'm quite liking what I'm hearing. I just may have to try optical direct into the EtherRegen.

I remember quite a bit of discussion a long while back on what SFPs were suited for the ER. Anyone want to tell me what you're successfully using?

1 hour ago, Jud said:

Listening for the first time since I made the changes. Obviously the power of suggestion may well be playing into this, but I'm quite liking what I'm hearing. I just may have to try optical direct into the EtherRegen.

I remember quite a bit of discussion a long while back on what SFPs were suited for the ER. Anyone want to tell me what you're successfully using?

It's OK, did a search and already ordered.

12 hours ago, Jud said:

It's OK, did a search and already ordered.

@Jud i'm curious 🧐, which SFPs did you choose to order?

13 hours ago, Jud said:

Anyone want to tell me what you're successfully using?

The best SFP modules I have are also the least expensive, only cost about $3 each, purchased them used, from eBay.  

Finisar FTLF8524P2BNV, 850nm MultiMode 1Gb.  

14 hours ago, Jud said:

I just may have to try optical direct into the EtherRegen.

It is worth a go, be interested to hear your thoughts once things have settled down.

Optical direct into EtherRegen (MikroTik CRS305 >> EtherRegen) is what I found best.

19 hours ago, Jud said:

In terms of performance, it's better.  Download speed to the PC is 2-3 times what it was before, which I would expect when changing from a Wi-Fi router in another room to an optical fiber connection. (I feel like buying some music just to watch how quickly it downloads! 😉)  The Wi-Fi speed to my phone is also up, noticeably though not hugely (I flipped back and forth between configurations in the router WebUI and did several speed tests both ways).

So I've accomplished what I set out to do, getting a more reliable, faster connection to my PC and my audio system without a huge expenditure. 

Congratulations 👏 , that is a great result!

4 hours ago, Duke40 said:

@Jud i'm curious 🧐, which SFPs did you choose to order?

We’ll see how these work:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M0UKAQD?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image