IGNORED

Coax in Office - How to Get Wired Connection to Desktop?

8 hours ago, R1200CL said:

I don’t think you can have coax out from your modem. My understanding is MoCA requires 2 boxes (or more ) and the coax isn’t connected to anything else than the MoCA’s. 

8 hours ago, R1200CL said:

If so, it has the be the same coax. Can you have your ISP explain how this is utilized? Maybe a second modem ?  It should, as a test, be possible to move your present modem to that other outlet, and have internet available. Agree ?

If so, the use of MoCA probably requires you do disconnect coax somewhere close to present location of modem, and you may need to add / move the end of line resistor in your coax network in addition.

MoCA is pretty easy and compatible with other things running on the same coax.  For example, I have run it over the same cables with my main cable internet feed and with video.  All that is needed is, indeed, two (or more) MoCA devices that will talk to each other over the cable and ignore whatever else is on it.  Conversely, the presence of MoCA has no effect on the other matters. 

It works well.........if it suits your needs.  I used it for a couple of years until I rewired the apartment with CAT6 and enjoyed a great boost in speed/bandwidth, the only limitations of MoCA.   (Anyone need a few MoCA boxes?)

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile