IGNORED

Coax in Office - How to Get Wired Connection to Desktop?

10 minutes ago, Jud said:

Though software suggestions for doing it are welcome.

I use PowerPoint for things like this.

As for the coax cable, could you use it to pull an Ethernet (copper or fiber) cable? If you don’t feel comfortable doing, could your ISP do it? My ISP will perform this task for a slight fee. They run CAT5 cable but will run whatever cable you want to provide, within reason.

Also, congrats on retirement. I semi-retired last year so now work just a few hours each week and really enjoy the life style.

7 minutes ago, Jud said:

Even better - I just found the optical fiber outlet in the office!  It was behind a blank wall plate that was in back of the shredder, which is large enough I haven't moved it since I brought it in almost 4 years ago.  (It was the business's - the admin assistant told me to "keep it as a lovely parting gift," which was great, since heavy duty shredders aren't cheap.) Whew!  So now all I need is another relatively inexpensive optical-to-Ethernet converter and an SFP and I'm good!

The TP-Link MC220L work well although you might consider a switch instead like the Mikrotik 610-8G-2S+IN which would be more versatile.

33 minutes ago, Jud said:

When I try to open the Mikrotik web interface using their phone app, I get the message "Connection refused." The web interface on the PC also does not connect.

Might consider trying their WinBox64 app.  I had difficulties trying to connect to switches using the default IP address but the app was able to locate switches. Also the app makes it easy to organize and connect to the switches.

That said, the Mikrotik switches will generally work straight out the of box.

1801781502_MikrotikWinbox.jpg.363804edbc7fb3f0ff1849280fdee9d1.jpg