IGNORED

HQPWV (HQPlayer Web Viewer)

llamaluv

4 hours ago, SalD said:

Hi @llamaluv ... this sounds great to me! I was just looking something similar just to have easy control of settings from my iPhone/iPad....

Do you think is it possible to implement the selection of output devices available into the same local network?

Thanks

Oh, good question.

Unfortunately, everything found in the top half of the the HQPlayer settings dialog can only be configured through HQPlayer itself.

That makes me think that I should find some way to communicate that in the HQPWV settings screen...

hqplayer, pggb > src-dx > opto-dx > dave > pass labs x150.8, bakoon amp-13r, cayin ha-300 > abyss phi tc, susvara, utopia, auteur

10 minutes ago, bibo01 said:

Plays nice with multiple instances of HQPlayer on the same network

By that I meant that the program will function properly even when there's more than on instance of HQPlayer on the network. When there's more than one, you're prompted to choose which HQPlayer instance the server app should pair with.

HQPlayer doesn't allow for input device settings to be changed through its API (ie, by outside programs).

hqplayer, pggb > src-dx > opto-dx > dave > pass labs x150.8, bakoon amp-13r, cayin ha-300 > abyss phi tc, susvara, utopia, auteur

7 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

Bug report:   (Lee, do you want future bug reports here or on GitHub?)

In MacOS, when saving a playlist in which one track has a filename that includes an ampersand, your program converts the ampersand to "&".  Consequently, when you subsequently attempt to load that playlist, that track is skipped because the filename is incorrect.

Correct file path:

/Volumes/Portable/iTunes Portable/iTunes Media/Bach - Cello Suites - Rostropovich/1-13 6. Bouree 1 & 2.flac

Erroneous path saved in playlist:

file:///Volumes/Portable/iTunes Portable/iTunes Media/Bach - Cello Suites - Rostropovich/1-13 6. Bouree 1 & 2.flac

Great, this is just the kind of subtle stuff I was hoping would be uncovered :) Here or Github is good.

11 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Since I use HQPE on Linux, and have zero possibility of moving to either Windows or MacOS ... and particularly since this is a server based program, any consideration to a Linux version?

Since this is javascript would it run on Linux?

Hi, good question.

It definitely ought to be possible to run on Linux -- if you're comfortable installing Node.js and running the server from the source code found on github. If this is of interest and you need some guidance, feel free to post here or PM me.

I need to do more investigation on making an executable version that will run on Linux (though I'm not even sure which flavors this will be do-able for, as of yet). I gave it a try earlier but had no luck, but will now put this higher on my to-do list, thanks.

2 hours ago, sledwards said:

Great job on this. Question: How do I bring up a list of the favorite tracks I have selected by clicking the "heart"?

Thanks and good point, I need to figure out introducing some extra UI to do this, maybe incorporated into the "search" panel.

Relatedly, it'd be nice to make albums "heart"-able as well...

17 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

Advantages over hqpd control? Or is this something else?

The main differentiator is that HQPWV runs on the web browser.

It requires running a server app -- either on the same machine that's running HQPlayer or on a different machine on the same network. The server app will run on Windows, Linux, or MacOS (which ought to include M1 yea). So in that sense, it has one extra "moving part".

However, once the web server is running, if offers the convenience of being able to be used on any locally connected mobile device or computer (with a modern browser) on your local network...

On 9/7/2021 at 7:03 PM, sledwards said:

Question: How do I bring up a list of the favorite tracks I have selected by clicking the "heart"?

On 9/7/2021 at 9:58 PM, llamaluv said:

Thanks and good point, I need to figure out introducing some extra UI to do this, maybe incorporated into the "search" panel.

Relatedly, it'd be nice to make albums "heart"-able as well...

Hi, I've posted another update, executables on github -- v0.9.5:

• Added ability to "favorite" albums (not just individual tracks)
  • Added favorite albums listing (via search panel)
  • Added favorite tracks listing (via search panel). Thanks, @sledwards for asking about this.
  • Reworked search UI generally

10 hours ago, sledwards said:

llamaluv:

As long as you keep including more functionality, I will happily add to the request list:

Favorite track list: Consider one entry per line (maybe track name, artist, and album) and sort the list by artist

Genres: Can you add the capability to handle multiple genres in tags? 

UI: Can you please freeze the top two lines (HQplayer Web Viewer and Library) when scrolling?

Thanks, I really like these suggestions.

I agree that using a 2-column layout for the track listing under Search is probably counter-productive and makes it less scannable.

On the genre tag,  I guess I never really pay attention to the genre tag in my own personal use, so never noticed that as a matter of convention, it looks like multiple values get stored in that field, separated by commas or semi-colons, it looks like. This will go on the list as well.

On the top two lines of UI elements, I'm still on the fence on how to handle this, but the current behavior has proven to be unnecessarily inconvenient in practice, especially with long lists on a touch device. I'll continue to think on this...

1 hour ago, sledwards said:

Follow-up on this issue. I have tried browsers on all 4 of my Apple devices; both Chrome and Safari. Library search works on my iMac and Mac Book Pro for both browsers. Library search does not work at all on my iPad Pro and iPhone 12. Your new favorite tracks list does works on all four devices. Hope this helps and you can repeat behavior.

Steve, thanks for the detailed info. From the readme file:

If using desktop or mobile Safari, it must be a recent version, circa April 2021

More specifically,  iOS 14.5+ is required. If either of your iOS devices are v14.5 or later though, do let me know. If they're not, then I'm surprised the page works at all, lol.

I will probably have to bite the bullet and re-tool the project a bit to make the app play nice with older versions of Safari, I'd guess sooner rather than later...

47 minutes ago, jvvita said:

Since we are at this, is it possible to include control of the “matrix-pipeline” feature? It would make comparing filter so much easier.

Ooh, so I'm totally unfamiliar with that feature of HQPlayer tbh. I will start looking into this, but I doubt it's something I will even start to approach for some time...

47 minutes ago, sledwards said:

I was able to export a large favorite track list from Roon and import m3u8 playlist into HQPWV.  I would very much like to add a selected subset of the current playlist into a new queue for playback. Somehow bring up the selected custom playlist and give user option to load entire playlist into queue or a set of individual files.

16 minutes ago, sledwards said:

Another thought on playlist/favorite tracks. In a way they are very similar. I have noticed the imported track playlist is not really edit friendly thus far. Looking at the format of the playlist, it's format would work well for the favorite tracks list. The small album art helps separate the albums the track came from.  A key feature is the ability to add a track to favorites from whatever menu/screen the track appears in and to keep the favorite track list in sorted order..

I appreciate this insight. I'm going to work on making the track listing under "search" look and behave the same or similarly to the way it's done in the Playlist view. And the track list items need a favorite button for sure.

On editing the playlist, I agree the current UI is only suitable for doing simple edits. This'll have to go on the to-do list as well :)

In the meantime, it's simple enough to manually edit the m3u8 files that are generated upon saving a 'custom' playlist, or even create new ones and save them to the same directory. The custom playlists that HQPWV generate live in the folder "hqpwv-playlists", which is created in the same folder that the hqpwv executable lives in.

15 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

@llamaluv  

I was making an ebuild for gentoo linux, so I could install it through portage, with the related init script to launch it as a service, but I noticed a couple of things you should make a bit more "standard". [...]

Thanks, I'm not too much of a Linux person, so this info is useful. FYI, I'll probably continue including the version + platform info in the executables' filenames, at least while this is in an "alpha" state and I continue to release frequently. But your point's well taken.

Also, I'll remove the ".bin" suffix. I thought the binary wouldn't run without it when I tested it on my Linux Mint VM, but I just doublechecked and I was mistaken, lol.

15 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

do you plan to release a binary for arm64 as well?

Yes, I think I should! Please watch out for it with the next release. I don't have a Linux arm64 device so would love some verification that it does run as expected.

15 hours ago, Jud said:

Just a thought - perhaps not restricted to the local network.  I'm not sure about playing the resulting output to a remote location, but you could certainly control the app remotely and securely.

Heh, I've thought about this in passing. I believe it would be simply a matter of setting up port forwarding on the router to expose the HQPWV webserver to the outside world.

It would be amusing to think of a use case where this could actually be... useful?

Just now, sledwards said:

Look forward to loading this. I have been using the Linux version of HQPWV and want to make sure during updating or loading a new version, is there any procedure I need to follow as to not overwrite existing settings?

Steve

Yup, you can simply replace the old executable with the new one, and all settings should be preserved.

1 minute ago, antonellocaroli said:

on my system it seems not to work....

Okay thank you for trying.

I'm wholly dependent on a particular Node.js library called 'pkg' to create the executables for the various platforms, and it appears not to work correctly for ARM64 when built on my system, so I'm not too optimistic about finding a solution for this. However, if I discover that the fault lies with me and I'm able to fix it, I'll make an update.

9 hours ago, Khordo said:

On the library view, if i want to listen an album, i need to click on it, Album page appears, then select 'Play Now'...Could be interesting to have directly the buttons : Play now, Add to queue, and 'Favorite' in the library view... Next to the Artist, and album name : Small icon like 'play', 'add to queue' & 'Favorite'.

Cool, I've been thinking about this as well. I'm leaning towards adding a context menu button to the album thumbnail tiles, but one which would only show up on hover, so for desktop only. Maybe I'll do this as a start, and then re-visit how this might be handled for touch devices in a way that doesn't clutter the interface too much, given the limited real estate on, say, an iPhone SE.

9 hours ago, Khordo said:

Also, a group by Artist function and sort by 'Year' for album could be very nice :)

Can't wait for the next version !

As far as grouping-by-artist goes... see below!

New release, v0.9.8

• Improved UX for titlebar and list headers (thanks @sledwards)
  • Added "group by artist" option to library view (thanks @Khordo)
  • Smoother animation on transitions to album view and playlist view

The titlebar now persists, rather than parallax'ing out of view on-scroll (which could too easily cause jank, among other things), but with the added twist that the 'UI header' that exists at the top of each view's list gets 'pinned' to the titlebar when the list is scrolled. IMO this turns out to be a pretty appreciable UX improvement.

1 hour ago, sledwards said:

I think you may have inadvertently changed something in the favorite tracks selection. Tracks with identical name from two albums show up as favorites. You can't favorite a track from one album without the program selecting corresponding same track name from another.

Okay, good (but unfortunate!) discovery.

HQPlayer provides a "hash" property for each track, which is what I'm using to keep track of things like favorite tracks and track play counts. A hash is supposed to provide something of a guarantee of the uniqueness of an item among many other items, more or less. But it looks like here, the track's hash property is functionally equivalent to the filename itself (as opposed to factoring in the file's actual contents), thus causing a "naming collision" between different tracks that happen to share the same filename.

Making a fix for this will cause previously favorites and play counts to be lost, unfortunately.

Thanks again for this feedback.

On 9/16/2021 at 5:12 AM, Khordo said:

So, i think the 'sort by Years' can't be possible until the HQP Library is updated by Miska.

As Miska mentioned, there is a "date" metadata property which HQPlayer exposes through its API. Right now the only place it's being used is in the album detail view (right under the album title).

I like the idea of leveraging the date info more though. What I'm doing (adding) at the moment is parsing the year from the 'date' metadata property, and so have added a "group by year" option to the library view.

5377980_gpbyyr.thumb.png.05754dbcfc08017197c40419c0905a86.png

Having done that, it's easy enough to "group by decade" as well, so might as well...

1023773564_gpbydecade.thumb.png.b50bf986f5b771d48c95365fc000a1e5.png

And I'll probably want to add year as a searchable criteria as well.

On 9/16/2021 at 7:52 AM, Khordo said:

The goal here, is to be able in HQPWV to group album by artist, and for any given artist sort album by Date...Newer to older for example.

I like this idea, and when viewing albums of an artist, I do prefer this sort order as well. I could add year as a new option under the "Sort by" dropdown. I'll think on this.