IGNORED

Focal Maestro Utopia III

• 4 weeks later...

No location either - for that money I want his blood type and eye teeth as collateral.

With his VPN it could say US, but they could be located anywhere.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

On 9/23/2021 at 12:32 PM, AudioDoctor said:

Joined the same day he or she posted this and made only this post...

@The Computer Audiophile I wonder if making new  users wait a month before they post classifieds might deter some scoundrels from trying to use this site to try to pull off a scam. 

I have really appreciated how you’ve kept on eye on things to help us be aware of potential scammers.  It might free up some of your time to have deterrence measures in place.

It has seemed the scammers list items over $10k generally.  So another option might be to restrict listing items over a certain dollar value for some period of time after they join.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

1 hour ago, kennyb123 said:

@The Computer Audiophile I wonder if making new  users wait a month before they post classifieds might deter some scoundrels from trying to use this site to try to pull off a scam. 

I have really appreciated how you’ve kept on eye on things to help us be aware of potential scammers.  It might free up some of your time to have deterrence measures in place.

It has seemed the scammers list items over $10k generally.  So another option might be to restrict listing items over a certain dollar value for some period of time after they join.

They would probably just lay low and open "sleeper" accounts. This is also how bots and misinformation is propagated by the anonymous Internet. I'm a big fan of requiring

identity verification for any user account registration to reduce internet bots, misinformation and fraud. Just need a legal mechanism to make this work for providers and some

international reciprocity.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

30 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

Years ago I worked for an anti-piracy team at Microsoft.  They had done a study into malicious actors and found that there value in placing roadblocks in front of them.  It’s what lead to forcing users to have to call if a product key had been activated too often.  Sure some would still call, but a great number dropped off by forcing the call.

I imagine introducing a delay before a new account can post a classified would achieve a similar result.

I'm sure the hassle of a real person phone call did help. I've had to make a few due to MOBO failure/replacements.  Not the same as asking someone

to wait a month before they initiate their con.

Perhaps require that all postings include a picture with legible serial number from the device? The cons mostly seem to use  advert pictures, rarely any details

that look like user taken pictures

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 3 weeks later...