IGNORED

Article: The Denafrips Design Philosophy Part 1

On 8/27/2021 at 9:53 AM, firedog said:

Again, I made no comment about Denafrips equipment. I was reacting to the ideas expressed in the post, which were general and also didn't specifically reference his DACs.

Zhao’s post really has very little to do with engineering. As was pointed out, the Denafrips DACs are properly engineered and measure very well (especially given that they use an obsolete fundamental design). This is really just an example of how to market audio products, and you can beak it down to see how he’s pushing all the right buttons that will trigger a ‘buy’ response from his marketplace. 

We can see all the familiar tropes: ‘digital’ is really ‘analog’ (something Max Tegmark and the Mathematical Realists would fervently disagree with); ‘real music’ is different to sine waves; designers have to tinker with the product and listen to the changes; the noise and distortion you get from vinyl don’t really matter; and last but not least, making insignificant changes to passive elements (like power cords 😂) produces perceivable changes in sound quality.

At the end of the day, a product’s success depends on getting people to buy it, so you can view this as a seminar on how to get people to open their wallets. It’s not an approach I would encourage or approve of (I’m trying very hard to be polite here, otherwise I’d have phrased that rather differently …). But we can point to other manufacturers who have managed to build successful companies without resorting to this sort of pandering.