IGNORED

Article: The Denafrips Design Philosophy Part 1

Great question and great response! 

The description of why best measurements don't equate to best sound is not controversial among audiophiles, but is heresy to the ASR crowd. I bought one of the highly touted, measurement-pristine DAC's that objectivists love, and it sounded like crap.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

Agreed with Zhao's point of view.

Measurement method is just one way of assessing an equipment. Take it with a grain of salt.

Trust your ears.

Michael Tan

Melbourne

PowerConditioning: PS Audio UPC-200; Hdplex 300W

Server: Windows 2019-CORE+AO3+Jriver24/HQPlayer 

Source: Mytek Brooklyn Amp: Audio-GD C501, AVA Set 120

Speakers: Spendor SP2, Tannoy Saturn S10

Desktop: W10+Topping D90+Stax  SRS3100

13 minutes ago, mourip said:

It has been controversial enough here that we had to create a separate forum for "Objective-Fi" so that the rest of us could move on. That was one of the best moves that ever happened on AS.

Sorry, separate forum? Could you please explain? I guess I'm outdated

4 minutes ago, mitch751 said:

a) Good Measure / Good sounding (audiophile)

b) Poor Measure / Good sounding (audiophile)

c) Poor Measure / poor sounding (audiophile)

d) Good Measure / poor sounding (audiophile)

Which one to pick ?

That I don’t understand, but I’m willing to be educated so I get the joke :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

38 minutes ago, Rexp said:

Unfortunately the delicate analog signal is often destroyed in the A to D or mastering process. The question is, can hardware/software fix the damage. I don't think so. 

I would disagree ... of course, 😜. The 'delicacy' is in fact fully captured, in the A/D step - the information is completely available, in the stored numbers. What goes awry is that the playback chains allow too much self-induced, and other interference noise to intrude - and the 'delicacy' is completely absent, in the listening.

It only takes competent playback of a recording given up as a disaster, to appreciate how much damage is done to the SQ by inadequate reproduction setups, 🙂.

[quote]Does the low-cost DAC sound better than the higher cost DAC?[/quote]

“Sound better” to whom, the designer?

There’s no such thing as a universal “sounds better”... It’s a personal, subjective call, a matter of preference.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

6 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

Do you mean Denafrips? Then take a look at Amir's measurement results: https://www.audio “science” review/forum/index.php?threads/denafrips-ares-ii-usb-r2r-dac-review.11166/

His conclusion: 

I have great respect for engineers who think outside the box and are humble. And that's what this article is about, as I understand it: Not everything we hear in reality can be measured. 😉

Again, I made no comment about Denafrips equipment. I was reacting to the ideas expressed in the post, which were general and also didn't specifically reference his DACs.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

9 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

Not everything we hear in reality can be measured. 😉

Especially expectation bias.:D. Very hard to measure.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I always enjoy insights provided by an audio engineer's description of how things are measured.  

My father brought me into the world of audio more than 40 years ago.    When he helped me purchase my first system his advice was don't believe the specs.   We spent days going from stereo store to stereo store in downtown Toronto auditioning systems.  Ended up with a system with lousy specs but great sound for an entry level receiver.  

Now I look at expensive "stuff" but it's still about the audition.   I have dodged the bullet many times by auditioning systems with good reviews and manufacturing pedigree and ending up passing for something else.   My audio ears/brain/tastes are unique.

Looking forward to PART 2.

Cheers

Mac Mini 2007: 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo, 3 Gig RAM, 500 Gig 5400 RPM HD[br]OSX 10.6.6, TimeMachine Off, Airport Off, Dedicated to Music[br]HAGUSB USB-->S/PDIF[br]Players: Audirvana, ITunes[br]Music Library: RedBook 16/44 WAV[br]Bryston BP26DA Preamp/DAC[br]Bryston 3BSST Amp[br]B&W 804s Loudspeakers[br]