IGNORED

Do I need a DAC? or?

On 8/25/2021 at 1:51 AM, Rantler said:

I got a pair of 70s audiosphere audio research cabinets (AX-Monitor 12) passed down from my dad. The foams were rotten (probably original) so I installed new ones. I am powering them with a cheap stereo receiver that I got for free from a friend to check if the speakers actually work. I am sending audio from my computer onboard sound through a 3.5mm jack that converts into rcas that is plugged into the stereo receiver.

I believe I am double amping here maybe? The sound clips very bad when I put the computer to 100% sound. It seems to be best when my comp output is 10% but there is alot of static when no music is playing so the signal seems to definitely be compromised even though it sounds better....

Sorry for being a noob but I've searched for a while and cant find an exact post that matches my situation....maybe because im playing with dinosaur equipment and new computers....wrongly? Hope someone can help, tell me what I need to buy :)

Yes, definitely get a DAC. IMO, the best budget DAC is the Schiit Modi 3+, $99. Connect to your computer via the included USB cable. The Audioquest Dragonfly Black is sonically inferior to the Modi and the Dragonfly contains a headphone amp, which you don't need for your setup. I bought a more expensive Topping DAC, the D50S, and preferred my Modi 3. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.