IGNORED

Anyone use a Samsung phone with an iBasso DAC/AMP?

I bought an iBasso DC03 for my Samsung Galaxy Note 9. Sounds good but I have to mess with the settings and then restart the phone every time I want to listen. Just wondered if anyone else is in a similar boat and has any advice like a quicker way to make it work? It is past the return date now as I thought switching to wireless charging might fix it i.e. only use the iBasso DC03 in the USB port, so I waited for a charger to arrive and it's only 7 days return where I am. Thanks

Try downloading USB Audio Player Pro to your phone from Google Play. That should work with your system, and you will also get better sound quality. I believe it only costs around $10.

https://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/products/usb-audio-player-pro

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

I have bought that app. Are you suggesting I trash the iBasso and just use that app? I hadn't thought of that. Will give it a try as the iBasso is infuriating to use. 

I actually think the iBasso is a bit faulty as well as not automatically working on Samsung as it was flicking in and out a bit as I moved the wire (not 100% sure), so I am going to push for a refund despite being past the warranty date. It's false advertising saying it's for phones and not having a disclaimer that they don't work with the 2nd most popular phone manufacturer in the world.

Do you know if other DAC/AMP devices are also bad with Samsung or just iBasso? Thanks.

Use USB Audio Player with the iBasso.  The app works with external DACs.  If your connection is in and out, try a different cable

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

3 hours ago, jcbenten said:

Use USB Audio Player with the iBasso.  The app works with external DACs.  If your connection is in and out, try a different cable

What he said.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Thanks guys but it's a Samsung-iBasso problem, they don't work together. I have tried different cables/headphones, it's definitely nothing like that. The DAC just won't work with Samsung without a lot of messing around every time.

I have been in touch with iBasso and they admit it (it isn't as simple as just restarting the phone too):

"Samsung smartphones have restrictions on USB OTG. They only support their own brand dongle. If you want to use a third-party dongle on your Samsung phone, first connect the dongle to the phone, restart the phone, and then you can use it normally."

"If you mainly use the DC03 with your Samsung, the DC03 may not suitable for you.  We don't have a solution to work with Samsung without reboot.

Sincerely
iBasso Audio"

4 hours ago, BnG_Murphy said:

Thanks guys but it's a Samsung-iBasso problem, they don't work together. I have tried different cables/headphones, it's definitely nothing like that. The DAC just won't work with Samsung without a lot of messing around every time.

I have been in touch with iBasso and they admit it (it isn't as simple as just restarting the phone too):

"Samsung smartphones have restrictions on USB OTG. They only support their own brand dongle. If you want to use a third-party dongle on your Samsung phone, first connect the dongle to the phone, restart the phone, and then you can use it normally."

"If you mainly use the DC03 with your Samsung, the DC03 may not suitable for you.  We don't have a solution to work with Samsung without reboot.

Sincerely
iBasso Audio"

At least try what I suggested.  I think USB Audio Player Pro takes over the connection.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

4 minutes ago, jcbenten said:

At least try what I suggested.  I think USB Audio Player Pro takes over the connection.

I have tried it. It does take over the connection. It actually stopped me being able to hear sound from any other apps, just the music that was in the app. But I have mentioned that to someone involved with it and they told me what to do to (hopefully) get around that.

Just sent a video to seller showing issues so hopefully they take it back. Will just have to live without a DAC/AMP or buy an MP3 player. Will do some comparisons with the app and VLC and the DAC/AMP before it (hopefully) goes back. At least I got improved audio from buying headphones for it and downloading the app.

3 hours ago, BnG_Murphy said:

I have tried it. It does take over the connection. It actually stopped me being able to hear sound from any other apps, just the music that was in the app. But I have mentioned that to someone involved with it and they told me what to do to (hopefully) get around that.

It doesn't matter that your phone is Samsung. The USB Audio Player bypasses the core of the Android operating system and the Samsung DAC, and directly manages the external iBasso DAC. According to this troubleshooting page, your Galaxy Note 9 phone is supported, via USB-C OTG cable:

https://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/technology/usb-audio-driver

You need to show the app where to find the folders that contain the music you want to play. I can play music from my phone's internal storage, or the SD card, or from my NAS, thousands of songs. It will also play Tidal and Qobuz. You have an excellent solution if you just learn to use it. I suggest you ask for help here:

https://www.extreamsd.com/forum/forum-22.html

PLAY FROM A VARIETY OF SOURCES

With USB Audio Player PRO, you can play from various sources: internal storage, SD cards and USB drives, a Samba network drive, UPnP servers but also several streaming services including Tidal, Qobuz, Google Music and Shoutcast radio.

16 hours ago, audiobomber said:

It doesn't matter that your phone is Samsung. The USB Audio Player bypasses the core of the Android operating system and the Samsung DAC, and directly manages the external iBasso DAC. According to this troubleshooting page, your Galaxy Note 9 phone is supported, via USB-C OTG cable:

https://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/technology/usb-audio-driver

You need to show the app where to find the folders that contain the music you want to play. I can play music from my phone's internal storage, or the SD card, or from my NAS, thousands of songs. It will also play Tidal and Qobuz. You have an excellent solution if you just learn to use it. I suggest you ask for help here:

https://www.extreamsd.com/forum/forum-22.html

PLAY FROM A VARIETY OF SOURCES

With USB Audio Player PRO, you can play from various sources: internal storage, SD cards and USB drives, a Samba network drive, UPnP servers but also several streaming services including Tidal, Qobuz, Google Music and Shoutcast radio.

So I need to buy a new cable? I Googled "USB-C OTG cable" and cheap adapters come up. Some are very small, not even a cable in it. Do you think it will work as long as I add one of these? This would also mean using the USB C to normal USB adapter they also sent me as the cables you are suggesting all seem to start with normal USB.

Or is there one that starts with USB C so I can cut out one adapter? I can't find one on Google when searching for "usb-c to usb-c otg adapter". I am in Vietnam so maybe you are getting different shopping results that include one of these. I don't know if I am allowed to post links, but please could you quickly Google this and let me know if it is the correct type of adapter? Baseus -Baseus Mall VN OTG USB Type C to USB Adapter Full size Baseus (TYPE C Male to USB Female Cable Adapter Converter), or let me know if I am allowed to post links and then I will link to their website. 

Just to be clear: I can listen to music through the app but I have to mess around with settings and restart the phone (often a couple of times) regardless of whether I am using the app or not e.g. if it doesn't work in the app it doesn't work on SoundCloud too (or any other apps). So I wouldn't have thought a cable/adapter would have helped as it seems like a device problem. But they have just told me they are sending a new one, so if you are sure an adapter like the one I mentioned will work, I will order that too.

I never had a problem with the app finding all my music. It found it all immediately. I don't even recall even having to show the app where my music folder is. Actually, I will re-install it.... yeah, all my music is still there (but instantly so it must have saved a log or something). 

Regarding multiple sources of sound - I stream some music on SoundCloud which can't be found elsewhere. It's not the end of the world that I can't listen to music from the app. I am OK with the app just playing files I have added to the phone as those are the albums in lossless quality - streaming is probably low quality. I don't use the other apps you mentioned. I might be able to download the Soundcloud music then put them in the app, but I usually listen more casually - I can do that with some favorites if downloads are allowed - they should be as SoundCloud takes up 832MB on my phone.

Thank you for your help.

Your iBasso has an integral OTG cable, you don't need anything else. Your system should be plug and play with that app, maybe the iBasso is defective.