IGNORED

EtherRegen advice

I just purchased a Auralic Aries 2.1 -Wireless Streaming Transporter. I bought it without an internal HD. I get it later this week.

I also just purchased and installed a Synology DS 720+ I have all my music on this device in a shared folder.

My network currently includes my Router---Netgear switch.

I want to add an Uptone EtherRegen in the chain for the best sound quality I can achieve.

Question- Between the router---switch--the Synology NAS and the Auralic Aries, what would be the most advisable/best configuration for adding the EtherRegen ?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

I spoke with Alex...he explained the best configuration.

What a great company ....How many manufacturers can you call directly on the phone...and have a pleasant conversation with the owner/CEO answering your questions and concerns.

Thanks Alex. I'm looking forward to my new EtherRegen.

2 hours ago, krelldog said:

What a great company ....How many manufacturers can you call directly on the phone...and have a pleasant conversation with the owner/CEO answering your questions and concerns.

Thanks Alex. I'm looking forward to my new EtherRegen.

Thanks for your kind words--and your order! (shipped already today) I'm guessing you are John, though I have had two conversations with Auralic Aries owners today (terrific streamer).  Just let us know if have any questions after receiving and installing your new EtherREGEN. We are always here to assist.

Best,

Alex C.

5 hours ago, thijazi said:

So what was the recommended setup? Also did you consider a pair of media converters (Ethernet to fiber optic) to further reduce noise?

I want to keep it simple for now.  Although I want to explore anything within reason to improve the sound as I go.

LOL- I don't even know what a media converter is. 

10 hours ago, krelldog said:

I'm looking forward to my new EtherRegen.

You should be very pleased with it.  It gets even better with a better power supply - like a Farad Super3.  

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

7 hours ago, krelldog said:

I want to keep it simple for now.  Although I want to explore anything within reason to improve the sound as I go.

Here is a brief overview: (6) How to isolate a network device from noise on your network using the Sonore opticalModule Deluxe - YouTube

There are expensive options (Sonore) and there are cheaper options (tp-link) ... 

12 hours ago, Superdad said:

The usual:

Connecting the DAC-attached computer/streamer/renderer endpoint (or Ethernet-input-equipped DAC)--in John's case the Auraic Aries 2.1--alone on the 'B' side of the EtherREGEN, with the network feed and his NAS connected to 'A' side ports. :)

Thanks, I am looking at obtaining one myself...

22 hours ago, krelldog said:

Here is a brief overview: (6) How to isolate a network device from noise on your network using the Sonore opticalModule Deluxe - YouTube

There are expensive options (Sonore) and there are cheaper options (tp-link) ... 

Thanks for the link.

I guess you got to ask yourself-How far do I want to chase digital/network audio ?

My question is- without trying all the Network tweaks/gadgets...Which enhancements in Network Audio are critical to high end analogue like sound.

You could make the argument...all of them, but whats the priority order that most computer Audiophile's follow.

My current Digital Audio system-  Auralic Aries 2.1---Yiggy----Uptone EtherRegen---Synology 720+ NAS----ISP provided router----mostly generic Ethernet cabling.

What improvements would you add to this?  I have at least 50K into the analogue side including speakers. All Pass Labs components/VPI Prime Signature TT/PS Audio P-10 Regenerator/ All Audience AU SX cabling/ Martin Logan Montis speakers.

Any and all direction and suggestions pertaining to the Digital/Network side would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

4 hours ago, krelldog said:

Thanks for the link.

I guess you got to ask yourself-How far do I want to chase digital/network audio ?

My question is- without trying all the Network tweaks/gadgets...Which enhancements in Network Audio are critical to high end analogue like sound.

You could make the argument...all of them, but whats the priority order that most computer Audiophile's follow.

My current Digital Audio system-  Auralic Aries 2.1---Yiggy----Uptone EtherRegen---Synology 720+ NAS----ISP provided router----mostly generic Ethernet cabling.

What improvements would you add to this?  I have at least 50K into the analogue side including speakers. All Pass Labs components/VPI Prime Signature TT/PS Audio P-10 Regenerator/ All Audience AU SX cabling/ Martin Logan Montis speakers.

Any and all direction and suggestions pertaining to the Digital/Network side would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

I would enjoy what you currently have and in the future look to add better power supplies on the EtherREGEN and router.

Agreed, take it a step at a time and try to enjoy each step. For me it is a hobby and I love the eternal upgrade options, I sincerely do not believe in a lot of the assumed benefits of these upgrades, but nevertheless find myself going after them, as long as I can afford these things I don't mind... It's fun and sometimes I was pleasantly surprised and at times I felt like the upgrade I did had zero impact....

The one thing I would prioritize is the power supplies.

On 8/17/2021 at 5:14 PM, Superdad said:

The usual:

Connecting the DAC-attached computer/streamer/renderer endpoint (or Ethernet-input-equipped DAC)--in John's case the Auraic Aries 2.1--alone on the 'B' side of the EtherREGEN, with the network feed and his NAS connected to 'A' side ports. :)

Alex:

I currently have my NAS connected Netgear Router/switch to NAS and Netgear Router/ Switch to  EtherRegen A with only my Aurender connected to ER B. Would it be better for me to move the NAS from direct to Router Switch and move to A side of ER? 

On 8/18/2021 at 8:40 PM, krelldog said:

Thanks for the link.

Thanks in Advance.

For me, adding good quality LPS power supplies to EtherRegen, Synology NAS, and Router, Modem, and switch and also adding a very high quality made for Audio Ethernet cable from B side to Aurender (Shunyata Delta) made very noticeable improvements. 
(PS, I have Martín Logan Montis as my 2 Channel speakers also) 

On 8/18/2021 at 5:40 PM, krelldog said:

I honestly felt that the improvement I got from powering the EtherRegen with a Farad Super3 was nearly on par with adding the EtherRegen in the first place.  It’s a no-brainer move if one plans to stick with their ER for a while.  

But should it be your next move?  Hard to say without knowing even more about your system including cables, power distribution, resonance control and room treatment.  I have had great success by successively addressing the weakest link in pursuit of trying to arrive at the point where everything is at a commensurate level.  You’ll get a great bang for the buck by spending $600 or so for a Super3 for the ER, but might there be some other place to apply those dollars?

One other recommendation.. this Ethernet cable would be a really good option to use between the ER and your Aries.  There are others of course but I have tried this and thought it delivered a lot for the money.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Thanks KennyB...My network /digital side is a work in progress.

Synology 720+ feeding ---AuralicAries 2.1-EtherRegen--Router....DAC is a Shiit Yiggy....Ethernet cabling is all Pangea SE

The other side of my audio system- Pass Labs 250.8--Pass Labs XP 22--PS Audio P-10 power regenerator--Martin Logan Montis.

My next moves are a linear power supply...I probably prefer Alex's JS-2. Should i utilize both inputs to the JS-2 ? If so...besides the EtherRegen ...Router or NAS...which would be better to mate with the JS-2 ?

I'll also consider the Ethernet cable you recommended.

Thanks,

John