IGNORED

Article: Using HQPlayer With Aurender and Other Music Servers

5 minutes ago, seeteeyou said:

using a Raspberry Pi 4 as a USB DSP-DAC

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/341590-using-raspberry-pi-4-usb-dsp-dac.html

Playback Windows Audio on a Pi4 over USB ver1.zip

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/341590-using-raspberry-pi-4-usb-dsp-dac-8.html#post5904418

I guess that might be the closest thing out there?

As always the detection of changing sampling rates could be tricky.

There's yet another example that looked like this

https://imxdev.gitlab.io/tutorial/Audio_loopback_between_two_imx_using_USB_UAC2/

Someone was trying to work on a new version but that didn't go anywhere since 2017

https://lore.kernel.org/patchwork/cover/848755/

https://lore.kernel.org/patchwork/patch/848754/

https://www.mind.be/fosdem19/2019-02-03-FOSDEM2019-C-usb-audio-class-3.html

That's awesome, I'm looking forward to that article because someone else reported that streaming from JRMC to HQPlayer Embedded via UPnP turned out to sound pretty darn good

https://www.my-hiend.com/vbb/showthread.php?13157-piCorePlayer6-1-0-Xenomai-44-1-48KHz雙機入門簡易安裝教學&p=244284#post244284

K5xGdaS.jpg

Rooted Android devices with an app called AirMusic could stream Apple Music to HQPlayer Embedded via UPnP, I guess that's a fairly decent solution when compared to other alternatives.

Good stuff @seeteeyou. I'm looking at the Pi solution you linked to right now. 

Sometimes it's fun to dig into this and get our hands dirty, while other times it's just fun to press play and not thing about it. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

8 minutes ago, bbosler said:

Fascinating, I can't believe I didn't see trying this path this when I was trying (unsuccessfully) to integrate HQP with an Innuos Zenith. 

With an Innuos, you could go AES out to a Merging HAPI then Ravenna to an HQP server. The HAPI would be a D to D and clock. 

10 minutes ago, bbosler said:

I really don't see where this is worth the hassle when you can just use any number of  programs on your CAPs PC as the music server. (I know you mentioned that) . Even if Aurender is somehow a superior sounding server, don't you lose that superiority by funneling the output through another server running additional software that is going to up sample and apply convolution? If it is all just so you can use the  Aurender interface seems again to me not worth the hassle just for that

It isn’t for everybody. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

33 minutes ago, bbosler said:

Pretty sure the  Innous only have  ethernet and USB .

Not trying to bust your chops, but I really am trying to understand why anybody would pay big $$ for a streamer then process the hell out of the stream. I thought one paid big bucks for a streamer because the digital output was somehow better than you can get from "lesser" streamers?  Seems counterproductive to pay for an expensive streamer then run the output through several more boxes before the signal gets to your DAC. 

Are you saying that the Aurender feeding HQP this way sounds better than Roon or some other program feeding HQP with the same settings? Again, I'm not trying to give you a hard time, I just don't understand the purpose of the exercise other than to say you got it to work. .. which is fine

I understand it's "not for everybody, I just don't see why anybody who wanted HQP would go to such lengths and $$  when there are a multitude of one box solutions..... of course other than just for the fun of doing it

thanks for pushing the envelope though

Think about it this way, people have spent $20,000 for a high end server and it has full support by the manufacturer. They love the server. Adding another tool in the toolbox by enabling DSP this way is now an option. They don’t have to sell the server at substantial loss and they can stick with what they like. 

This article is also a proof of concept article. This is a start, to get the ball rolling on using DSP with components that “don’t” support it and without getting rid one one’s components. 

2 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Is Ethernet a possible input in such a device?

Anything is possible, but which protocol are you going to use to send and receive audio? Ravenna?

2 hours ago, R1200CL said:

What does The Sonictransporter lack in order to be such a device? 

It has Roon, where you add the room correction filters. It has optional HQplayer embedded built in.

Yes it lacks AES/SPDIF, but apart from that, isn’t it pretty close to your dream ? 

It lacks the ability to input audio. 

Tons of people are over or never got into Roon. As I said in the article, using Roon for this isn’t an option. 

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Jørgen Skadhauge said:

Wow Chris amazing!!

I use a very simple setup compared to your system.

Theres just one PC and an Anubis:

Audirvana and AcourateConvolver uses ASIO so:

Qobuz and local files>Audirvana with upsamling>Acourate Convolver4channels up to 192>Merging Anubis>amp/main speakers and subs

What I think could be even more cool would be to have the convolverfilters direct in Audirvana  or another playerprogram and then upsample right before sending the data to the Anubis.

One question: once you use DSP, you alter the sound to your  taste, does it then still make sence to buy a very expensive dac.....what I mean is that I would probably not have bought a pro dac for being used without DSP.

Chris you never wrote a review of the Anubis, that would be nice to have your take on this quite special dac with so many possiblities, does it compare to the elite etc.

Thanks

Hi Jørgen, thanks for reading and enjoying the article. Yes, this one is quite complex and it isn't for everyone, that's for sure. 

I my view the DAC is always important. The conversation from digital to analog can be done many different ways, and they all matter. 

I really should write a review of the Anubis. It's an incredible tool with unlimited potential.