IGNORED

What’s so bad about cpu fans?

TimF

20 degrees heatsink temp you mean?

I plan on adding some vibration dampening to the heatsink, will report when I get to it, my fave wax is out as it'll melt off :-)

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

12 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

20 degrees heatsink temp you mean?

cpu core temps. I have 10 of them.

12 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

I plan on adding some vibration dampening to the heatsink, will report when I get to it, my fave wax is out as it'll melt off :-)

vibration dampening of the heatsink so that the heat flows in a steady state without getting scattered by the vibration ? 🤪

9 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

@AudioDoctor I doubt it, 105W TDP is not what that Noctua is listed for....

I'm using a 300W Heatsink with heatpipes and am at a pretty steady 53'C core temperature, until I have the CPU do anything more than play a file....so upsampling oversampling digital filtering and whatnot makes heat dissipation go up like crazy and fast.

Will keep my fingers crossed for you, I had my finger on the trigger to order one too until I reviewed the specs in detail.

What heatsink are you using?

No electron left behind.

An industrial free air flow heatsink rated at 0.3K/W @300W, from Reichelt; KS 300.6-100E

https://www.reichelt.de/kuehlkoerper-100-mm-alu-0-3-k-w-300-w-ks-300-6-100e-p227810.html?CCOUNTRY=445&LANGUAGE=de&trstct=pos_0&nbc=1&&r=1

@DevI'm not using any fans, I want to hear if acoustic feedback from the music has impact on the CPU, so I plan to add dampening to the heatsink.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

@MarcelNL How did you connect that to the CPU?

The 5800X and 5900X are both listed as 105W TDP and listed as will likely throttle under continous full load when driven fanless. SO then the question becomes, will they be under continous full load when using the AMD optimized build of HQP OS and upsampling to DSD 128 (the max of my NAA) I do plan on having some (few?) Noctua fans as well to assist, but will keep them at 0 RPM for as long as possible.

No electron left behind.

Heatpipes and adapter block, some DIy witha wood (!) router and plenty heatsink gunk just have a look here;

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/63568-amd-based-server-build/page/3/#comments

7 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

The 5800X and 5900X are both listed as 105W TDP and listed as will likely throttle under continous full load when driven fanless. SO then the question becomes, will they be under continous full load when using the AMD optimized build of HQP OS and upsampling to DSD 128 (the max of my NAA) I do plan on having some (few?) Noctua fans as well to assist, but will keep them at 0 RPM for as long as possible.

hard to say, unless someone with that CPu can read out Watts used....

I'm sure fanless is possible with Daphile and no upsampling etc.

1 minute ago, AudioDoctor said:

That's really something but I like the idea! Have you tried a linear PSU?

linear PSU is on its way; Saligny rectifier, two BIG Lundahl chokes and a 500VA tranny going into the Taiko ATX.....backordered, the wait is on

Just now, MarcelNL said:

hard to say, unless someone with that CPu can read out Watts used....

I'm sure fanless is possible with Daphile and no upsampling etc.

See, I can upsample to those rates in a 2011 Mac Mini, using less intense modulators and filters to DSD of course, so how much work can it really be for a 5900? My M1 mini does it and barely breaks a sweat...

No electron left behind.

2 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

See, I can upsample to those rates in a 2011 Mac Mini, using less intense modulators and filters to DSD of course, so how much work can it really be for a 5900? My M1 mini does it and barely breaks a sweat...

I dunno....that CPu is for sure capable but it's running it a pretty high freq, and with many cores in parallel,  a bit like touring on the freeway in a bugatti Veyron...still not getting a much better mileage per gallon than 2 where you maybe get 1 MPG @ 300km/h

Just now, MarcelNL said:

I dunno....that CPu is for sure capable but it's running it a pretty high freq, and with many cores in parallel,  a bit like touring on the freeway in a bugatti Veyron...still not getting a much better mileage per gallon than 2 where you maybe get 1 MPG @ 300km/h

Well, I will have a fan backup, and can always just turn it off and go a different direction if I need to.

No electron left behind.

2 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Well, I will have a fan backup, and can always just turn it off and go a different direction if I need to.

just try that Noctua, you can always switch to a larger heatsink if needed, and I recall that the new HDplex case should accomodate 105W TDP, I don't want a metal case so I did not care for that.

9 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

A new, new one? I read 95W TDP unless that's old copy.

13 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

A new, new one? I read 95W TDP unless that's old copy.

Current model on their website has been out of stock for a short time, and they will have a new heat block design coming with next batch (new, new?).  They will also be releasing a new case (new, new, new?) for the Intel 12th gen CPU, but no official date yet.

1 minute ago, elan120 said:

Current model on their website has been out of stock for a short time, and they will have a new heat block design coming with next batch (new, new?).  They will also be releasing a new case (new, new, new?) for the Intel 12th gen CPU, but no official date yet.

Thank you.

No electron left behind.

Just now, elan120 said:

You are welcome.  They will also be releasing new pre-bent heat pipes to help channel the heat to the other side of current case around November-December time frame, but since new batch case is delayed, it is possible the new heat pipe releasing date will also be affected.

Are you the intrepid person that self bent the tubes to the other side? I remember seeing that picture and thinking some of you guys are far braver than I am.

No electron left behind.

I had my GF bend the heatpipes, it's not that difficult! but when using more than a few at close quarters precision is needed!

I know my handicaps, I have a 'slight' lack of patience with this type of fiddling

• 2 months later...
On 8/28/2021 at 7:33 AM, Miska said:

This is what I use as a NAA:

https://up-shop.org/up-gateway-atom-x5-z8350-w-4g-memory-32g-emmc-board-w-vesa-plate.html

This kind of bigger machine works also for simple HQPlayer Embedded tasks and as NAA with HQPlayer OS:

https://up-shop.org/up-squared-edge-8gb-ram.html

These run from a 5V DC PSU, so likely USB VBUS is a direct feed.

Have been running NAA under Stylus endpoint but would like to try a "native" NAA endpoint. Can you advise which image would be best to run on these devices? Not sure I understand

your directory logic for the NAA images other than not AMD.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system