IGNORED

Article: Patricia Barber Clique Review, Plus Video Interview

On 8/12/2021 at 10:06 AM, miguelito said:

Wondering if there are liner notes in pdf form. The DXD download did not include anything. 

I love liner notes. Whenever I rip a disc I scan the liner notes and put them with the files - and can see them in Roon or Audirvana.

@miguelito FWIW: My DXD download included the liner notes as pdf. I did a direct download (did not use download manager), the album was downloaded as a 6.5GB Zip

Author of PGGB & RASA, remastero

Update: PGGB-256 is completely revamped, improved, and now uses much less memory

New: PGGB-IT! is a new interface for PGGB 256, supports multi-channel, smaller footprint, more lossless compression options

Free: foo_pggb_rt is a free real-time upsampling plugin for foobar2000 64bit; RASA is a free tool to do FFT analysis of audio tracks

System: TT7 PGI 240v > Paretoaudio Server [SR7T] > Adnaco Fiber [SR5T] >VR L2iSE [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Infinity PC]> QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation RCA> Omega CAMs, JL Sub, Vox Z-Bass/ [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation PC] KGSSHV Carbon CC, Audeze CRBN

Fantastic thank you.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

12 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

@miguelito FWIW: My DXD download included the liner notes as pdf. I did a direct download (did not use download manager), the album was downloaded as a 6.5GB Zip

So to make this clear for others: If you use the NativeDSD "downloader" app then you will get no liner notes or cover art. It's odd since HDTracks' downloader app does include those (obviously not the same app). Downloading a compressed file includes everything.

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

10 hours ago, austinpop said:

I have also bought the 32f DXD version from NativeDSD, as I really hope we see more 32-bit DXD releases in the future. I hope all AS'ers who support transparency of provenance, and the outstanding SQ of 32f DXD, will support the effort and buy this album. Finally, if you're a PGGB user, then I can tell you these 32f DXD albums upsample brilliantly.

If I understood correctly, the capture was 32 bit, the final mastering at 24 bit.

system pics

2 hours ago, austinpop said:

No, actually NativeDSD offers the 32f DXD! Check it out.

https://www.nativedsd.com/catalogue/albums/imp7002dxd-clique/

They didn't have the 32bit listed at first. It's a later edition. The 32 bit is the actual master. Although I'd be surprised if anyone can hear a difference between that and the 24 bit conversion.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

5 hours ago, firedog said:

They didn't have the 32bit listed at first. It's a later edition. The 32 bit is the actual master. Although I'd be surprised if anyone can hear a difference between that and the 24 bit conversion.

51 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

I have the actual master. I will have to snag a 24 bit sample to see if I can hear a difference. I probably won’t be able to.

The 32bit version is floating point as DAWs do the processing in floating point and  24bit is created from the floating point version. 

But  I don't know of any DAC that can directly use PCM in 32 bit floating point values. So most likely your music player will convert 32 bit floating point to either 24bits or 32bit PCM, at which point it would be hard to distinguish. The 32bit floating point is most useful and will shine if you do any kind of processing (EQ,  software volume control or upsampling). 

Update: PGGB-256 is completely revamped, improved, and now uses much less memory

New: PGGB-IT! is a new interface for PGGB 256, supports multi-channel, smaller footprint, more lossless compression options

Free: foo_pggb_rt is a free real-time upsampling plugin for foobar2000 64bit; RASA is a free tool to do FFT analysis of audio tracks

System: TT7 PGI 240v > Paretoaudio Server [SR7T] > Adnaco Fiber [SR5T] >VR L2iSE [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Infinity PC]> QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation RCA> Omega CAMs, JL Sub, Vox Z-Bass/ [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation PC] KGSSHV Carbon CC, Audeze CRBN

1 hour ago, JoeWhip said:

Yes, my software sends the DXD files at 32/192 to my DAC. The 24 /352.8 would be sent at 24/192 so I can’t imagine being able to hear a difference.

It will be interesting to see if you hear a difference, and only because your software is having to downsample DXD to 192kHz rate, so working with the master can have have some benefit.

9 hours ago, austinpop said:

No, actually NativeDSD offers the 32f DXD! Check it out.

https://www.nativedsd.com/catalogue/albums/imp7002dxd-clique/

I know they do.

However: 

1241920631_ScreenShot2021-08-17at10_19_17AM.png.4e822ef11f32fa09d3c7afc231ad1950.png

system pics

On 8/16/2021 at 7:39 AM, miguelito said:

So to make this clear for others: If you use the NativeDSD "downloader" app then you will get no liner notes or cover art. It's odd since HDTracks' downloader app does include those (obviously not the same app). Downloading a compressed file includes everything.

To make things even more clear: I am an idiot! :)

This is what the NativeDSD downloader screen looks like - the the album cover and booklet download options on the left:

518264410_ScreenShot2021-08-17at10_14_28AM.thumb.png.bcc3d0cae44abbd3640c2d9bb7783be3.png

system pics

45 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Guessing a typo?

Based on what? It is not unreasonable that capture was done at 32bit but after mixing/etc it would be determined 24bit is the proper master output? 

system pics

26 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Based on what? It is not unreasonable that capture was done at 32bit but after mixing/etc it would be determined 24bit is the proper master output? 

From where are you quoting the above text? Do you have a link?

If the original recording precision of 32-bit is being reduced to 24-bit, due to an intermediate "mix master," that would be disappointing. And it doesn't jive at all with the comments Jim Anderson and Ulrike Schwartz made in the Zoom interview embedded in Joe's review.

On 8/9/2021 at 8:13 PM, matthias said:

Available too on Spotify.

Matt

Such a great album. I've been listening to this quite a lot and on Spotify no less. :)
Still waiting for Spotify to introduce lossless streaming...any news, anyone?

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

On 8/17/2021 at 8:39 PM, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

The 32bit version is floating point as DAWs do the processing in floating point and  24bit is created from the floating point version. 

But  I don't know of any DAC that can directly use PCM in 32 bit floating point values. So most likely your music player will convert 32 bit floating point to either 24bits or 32bit PCM, at which point it would be hard to distinguish. The 32bit floating point is most useful and will shine if you do any kind of processing (EQ,  software volume control or upsampling). 

Hi ZB,

The 32DXD was not available when I downloaded the 24DXD.

Is there any point in the 32bit version if using PGGB to output 24bit for use with SRX-DX?

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

7 hours ago, HeeBroG said:

Hi ZB,

The 32DXD was not available when I downloaded the 24DXD.

Is there any point in the 32bit version if using PGGB to output 24bit for use with SRX-DX?

Since you got the 24bit version , perhaps you can reach out to NativeDSD and ask if you can get the 32bit version (assuming you got it from NativeDSD).

The 32bit version is floating-point and it is the source you use as an input for further processing. Having a higher resolution source is beneficial wether you output 24bit or 32bit as the processing benefits from the increased resolution and decreased noise in the source track. The only time 32bit float version is not recommended is when you wish to play it back in a bit-perfect mode with no processing.

On 8/19/2021 at 4:57 PM, mevdinc said:

Still waiting for Spotify to introduce lossless streaming...any news, anyone?

I am waiting as well.

Spotify come up with a new version of their desktop app for Mac about every week, but so far no lossless....

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

I just downloaded the DSdD64 version upsampled to DSD256 via HQ Player. using the EC modulation.

You are correct, Sounds Awesome! On her last album, "Higher" I went with DXD and to me, the DSD version sounds better, more natural.  IMHO of course!  Another great effort by a truly classic artist! Cheers,😄