IGNORED

Article: USB 4.0 Is A No-Go, For Now

On 8/5/2021 at 10:38 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

At first I thought you were referring to the concept of using an optical USB4 cable for DAC isolation 😝

In the storage space for super high speed external NVME NAS we are seeing new NVME storage arrays connected by 100Gbe fiber for ... breathtaking speed

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

13 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

It make sense for a corporate environment, where many (maybe thousands) users need to access data, but I really don’t thing that this can be useful for an home environment where you access one file at a time … it seems like to buy a McLaren Senna to run around in courtyard …

Well on one hand ... sure. On the other hand I've never been fond of the USB interface to store a music library, or for a storage array.

NVME has become popular for hanging fast storage on the PCIe bus and NVMEoF is extending the PCIe bus over the network ...

The reason this discussion is apropos to this thread is that Thunderbolt was envisioned as a way to extend the PCIe bus over a wire -- that's essentially the protocol. USB4 has merged thunderbolt and USB ... Thunderbolt has had disappointing motherboard support and really hasn't caught on ... 100Gbe NICs are already yesterday's news so I'm discussing two competing visions of how to extend the PCIe bus out of the box.

Sure, you can still just put your storage on a 1Tb USB thumbdrive and years ago no one could imagine that a home would need 1Tb or storage ... regarding speed, think virtualization, VR, holographics etc and why not at home?

Custom room treatments for headphone users.