IGNORED

DigiOne Signature -- A couple'a noob questions

I'm considering getting a DigiOne signature to replace my Sonos Connect (currently used just as a transport connected to my DAC).  I'm fairly computer-literate, but I'm totally new to the RPI.  I will likely get the player version just to simplify things, but I have a couple of (probably obvious) questions.

First, will the Shanti LPS actually power both the clean and the dirty side?  The description is not clear, but I know the Shanti has two outputs.  Is this the preferred arrangement (DigiOne Sig + Shanti)?  Or do I actually need two separate power supplies?  

Second, does anyone have a recommendation for a good, user friendly OS?  I want to make sure whatever I install, my wife will be able to use it without too much trouble.  That means being able to control it from her phone (Android).  Our goal is to primarily play music off our Synology NAS.  This includes a lot of classical so being able to search by composer/album or genre/artist/album is important.  I would also like to experiment with hi-res streaming services (I know some OS's offer that capability), but this is secondary to just being able to play from our existing library.

I've been looking at Moode and Volumio just because they seem to be the most polished.  Just wondering if anyone has a particular recommendation.  I don't currently have any other audio streaming devices, so this would be it.

Thanks for your help!

3 hours ago, MarkDH said:

I'm considering getting a DigiOne signature to replace my Sonos Connect (currently used just as a transport connected to my DAC).  I'm fairly computer-literate, but I'm totally new to the RPI.  I will likely get the player version just to simplify things, but I have a couple of (probably obvious) questions.

First, will the Shanti LPS actually power both the clean and the dirty side?  The description is not clear, but I know the Shanti has two outputs.  Is this the preferred arrangement (DigiOne Sig + Shanti)?  Or do I actually need two separate power supplies?  

Second, does anyone have a recommendation for a good, user friendly OS?  I want to make sure whatever I install, my wife will be able to use it without too much trouble.  That means being able to control it from her phone (Android).  Our goal is to primarily play music off our Synology NAS.  This includes a lot of classical so being able to search by composer/album or genre/artist/album is important.  I would also like to experiment with hi-res streaming services (I know some OS's offer that capability), but this is secondary to just being able to play from our existing library.

I've been looking at Moode and Volumio just because they seem to be the most polished.  Just wondering if anyone has a particular recommendation.  I don't currently have any other audio streaming devices, so this would be it.

Thanks for your help!

Yes ,shanti will power the both CLEAN and DIRTY side of the Digione signature player. No need of two separate power supplies

And you can use Moode or volumio OS with  Digione signature player.

• 1 month later...

The source is a library of (mostly) FLAC files on a Synology NAS.  I've played around with both Volumio and Moode, and right now am using Moode. I like the Volumio interface design better, but it's very limited in how you can search the library.  My library includes a fair amount of classical, so search functionality is important to be able to find the exact composer/piece I'm looking for.  Moode's search functionality seems to work better for that.

Volumio does have integration with Tidal, but there's the monthly subscription (in addition to the one for Tidal), and I'm not sure I hear much of a difference in SQ (if any) with the high def audio files I've tried so far.  Not sure I want to start spending money for something where I'm not hearing a difference (not so far anyway).  Especially since it's not easy to find my own files using Volumio, unless there's some search functionality I'm missing.   

Have you tried anything other than Volumio?  I tried installing DietPi/Allo, but setup was challenging compared to Moode and Volumio so I dropped it.   I don't use Roon, so don't need that integration.  I'm just looking for a simple, easy-to-use FLAC player with some degree of search flexibility.  Right now, Moode seems the best option.