IGNORED

Is iTunes Album artwork working again

A while back, iTune album artwork was not complete in many of my purchases.  This must have been common, dougscripts created scripts to re-embed the artwork, another checks if the artwork is attached to the files, and another saves artwork to album folder.

When I purchase a item now on iTunes, I run re-embed and save.  Do I need to any longer?  Has iTunes solved the problem?  What are your thoughts about album artwork?

Apple Music (the successor to iTunes) has NOT solved the problem.

I bought a new Mac Mini with the M1 chip and I found that the artwork for dozens of albums was missing. All artwork was present in iTunes. 

No particular pattern as to which album artwork is missing: purchased downloads/CD rips/his res/low res etc.

Unfortunately this has been a problem since Music.app was released. I check on this once a month or so, and it appears no-one still has any idea of the factors affecting what artwork shows in Music.app and what doesn't. iTunes was much more reliable on this. I've even tried opening the internal SQLite databases to see if I could link things up, to no avail!

If you find anything out, I'd be interested in knowing!

bliss - fully automated music organizer. Read the music library management blog.

I have not yet migrated to OS10.15 and Music but iTunes still has this problem, has had for some 10 years now...

I always add my covers manually for this reason (after deleting the original ones) and then run Doug's script. I downsize the cover image to 300x300 dpi to reduce file size.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

On 7/28/2021 at 8:33 AM, Dan Gravell said:

Unfortunately this has been a problem since Music.app was released. I check on this once a month or so, and it appears no-one still has any idea of the factors affecting what artwork shows in Music.app and what doesn't. iTunes was much more reliable on this. I've even tried opening the internal SQLite databases to see if I could link things up, to no avail!

If you find anything out, I'd be interested in knowing!

True. I never encountered vanishing artwork with iTunes. Once you put it in there, it stayed.

Another example; if I rip a CD (store bought - not one of my own burns), the Recently Added page goes blank. Exiting and then restarting Music clears this and the Recently Added page shows all the more recently added music. 

This seems to be another known issue that Apple can't be bothered fixing. How they missed it in the first place is a mystery - it's not exactly subtle. 

On 8/9/2021 at 2:15 AM, grinner said:

I should mention that I sent the POS Mac Mini with the M1 chip back for a refund.

JUNK!

What was wrong with the M1 mini?

On 8/10/2021 at 3:48 AM, semente said:

What was wrong with the M1 mini?

The points being described here in respect to the Music program are what's wrong. Missing artwork. Blank pages. Etc.

Apples are very expensive and are supposed to just work. The new M1 Mac mini just doesn't. To me there is no point in paying a premium price for something that does not satisfy and has unfixed bugs that a child would have noticed during checkout. 

11 hours ago, grinner said:

The points being described here in respect to the Music program are what's wrong. Missing artwork. Blank pages. Etc.

Apples are very expensive and are supposed to just work. The new M1 Mac mini just doesn't. To me there is no point in paying a premium price for something that does not satisfy and has unfixed bugs that a child would have noticed during checkout. 

I see, so no problem with the mini M1, only with the Music software. 👍

You had me worried.

13 hours ago, semente said:

I see, so no problem with the mini M1, only with the Music software. 👍

You had me worried.

Sorry - didn't mean that (for example) I found that it caught fire! 

They are expensive computers and, in the old days, Apple's value proposition was that they always worked and weren't buggy like Windows boxes.