IGNORED

Researching SD Card Transports

52 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

Can someone explain why the external 10 MHz reference clock option is not optimal?

Given that 10MHz isn't related to either of the sample rate families (44.1kHz and 48kHz plus integer multiples), obtaining the relevant frequencies requires a phase locked loop (PLL) to be applied to the 10MHz input clock. A PLL of necessity calls for a VCO (voltage controlled oscillator) as an integral component that won't be as stable as a fixed frequency crystal. 

I am assuming that the fixed frequency crystal oscillator isn't implemented poorly - then yes, based on my EE knowledge an external oscillator isn't going to decrease jitter compared to an XTAL sited close to the DAC chip. But then again, I might be missing something vital. In my understanding frequency references such as an external 10MHz oscillator are intended for ensuring long-term stability and accuracy rather than short-term. Long-term stability and accuracy aren't really significant issues for audio AFAIK.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, shendrik said:

The highest emphasis was placed on sound quality.

Just a suggestion - since you have 3 toroidals in your PSU that's a lot of capacitance to mains from the secondary side. Consider fitting a common-mode choke to raise the impedance to mains-borne noise.