IGNORED

Would Appreciate Any Insight, And Experience You Might Have Regarding Home Security Systems That You Use To Protect Your Audio Gear And Home

Before using a gun, make sure you know the laws in your state. Here in MN, even in our homes, we have a duty to retreat and only if that's impossible are we allowed to shoot... for example. A stereo can be replaced, a person can not and no life is worth material things. Also, the use of force is not allowed to protect property, only life in a lot of states as well.

No electron left behind.

27 minutes ago, PeterG said:

Also, just think about how much it's going to suck if you shoot a person, even the "right" person.  Best case--you're in the police station a few hours, the news a few days, the lawyers $50-100K....Worst case--you've killed a disadvantaged kid who happens to be photogenic....You'd be so much better off if he had just taken your stereo.

BTW, an audiophile system would be about the stupidest thing in the world to steal.  It's damn heavy, it's going to be hard to unload discreetly, and pretty much nobody wants one.

As I have said before, if someone were to try and steal my McIntosh amp, I'd make some popcorn and sit down to watch them try and carry it up from the basement...

No electron left behind.

14 minutes ago, Bill Brown said:

Phew, glad I live in TX, at least in this regard (though we did enjoy living in MN for 3 years for post-graduate training).

I was going to reply to the question "dog and firearms," but that sounded too cavalier.

I would never do anyone harm over material things.  Never.  They can have it.  Unfortunately, I don't want people on meth (or others uninvited with ill intent) in my house when my family is home.  Too unpredictable, too dangerous.  I have too many crazy stories from the ER.  The police would not respond in time in the country where I live.  The intruders would be at grave risk, I'm afraid.  We are not required to retreat.

In practice, I have seen that law bent a bit by prosecutors in certain situations. However, it's best to not rely on that happening and follow the law as it's written. Second, if I am in my house, and someone breaks in, I am within my rights to use deadly force. If I walk into my house knowing they are in there and shoot them, I am in the wrong If I walk in and they run out, I am not allowed to chase them down the street and shoot them in the back. Deadly force can only be used to protect life against a deadly threat.

This actually played into the layout of my new home. I wanted all bedrooms on the top floor so there won't be any ambiguity if the worst case scenario were to ever happen. This normally would not have been a consideration for me, however two friends of mine who live very close by in a posh area of St Paul both had people break in at night while they were sleeping, and one of them was awakened by one of the intruders holding the homeowners shotgun over him and his wife... I don't care one bit if they want to try and carry a 100lb amplifier out the door. I do care if one of them decides they want to get even friskier and attack my family.

edit: If you have a gun, get a gun safe. They make some that can be accessed instantly with a fingerprint rather than a code. Don't wake up to the intruder holding your own firearm.

No electron left behind.

2 minutes ago, Bill Brown said:

I completely agree with your thinking, @AudioDoctor :).

Re. the legal part, it differs in that in TX, if they are shot in your house (even if you walk in to do it), you won't be prosecuted.  Again, though, that wouldn't be my idea of a good plan if we were all outside and safe.  No one is dying over "stuff" if me or my family would be the ones doing the shooting.

Bill

Thats why I pay for insurance and that's exactly what it's for.

No electron left behind.