IGNORED

Article: Personal Streaming Services Part 2: Brio

5 hours ago, joelha said:

Fantastic information and research, Chris.

These are the kinds of articles that originally drew me to your site.

Thanks for giving me (and probably many others) another compelling streaming option.

Joel

Thanks so much for the kind words Joel. These articles are fun to research and write :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Am I correct in thinking that both Vox and Brio would be somewhat of a PITA to use as backup applications  because Vox doesn't save artwork and doesn't maintain the usual directory structure, while Brio requires selecting albums for downloading one at a time?

I'm tempted to try Vox due to the excellent pricing for remote access bundled with a kind of backup, but wow what a pain if I really did lose my local collection.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 minutes ago, Jud said:

Am I correct in thinking that both Vox and Brio would be somewhat of a PITA to use as backup applications  because Vox doesn't save artwork and doesn't maintain the usual directory structure, while Brio requires selecting albums for downloading one at a time?

I'm tempted to try Vox due to the excellent pricing for remote access bundled with a kind of backup, but wow what a pain if I really did lose my local collection.

Correct all around Jud. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

It's interesting, if I hadn't already gone to the trouble of setting up my own remote access, I think Vox would likely win.  But since I have, I've got a very robust backup solution (Backblaze offers unlimited backup storage for $60/yr, essentially the same cost as Vox - I use their slightly more expensive B2 service because it allows me to do some fun geeky stuff the unlimited doesn't), and then it's just $26/yr more for the Subsonic music server and a domain name.  I guess that's one advantage of rolling your own that to some extent offsets the extra work to set it up: You get to customize things to your liking.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Hah! Well, if we like more options, look at this: https://asti.ga

(I haven't tried it yet, but curious.)

No one I think is in my tree. 

I just want something that will let me stream any audio in “real time” from a PC running broadcast automation software to my car. I’m actually doing this right now (ok, I’m on the patio, not driving) but only as 128k AAC. It actually sounds surprisingly good. And I can listen about a couple hours a day without jacking up the phone bill. But, I depend on the good graces of a friend who lets me have a little server bandwidth for free. 

What I’d like is something flexible enough to handle 5-10 connections at once, mostly because of coverage dropouts reconnecting without closing the now-lost blah blah not relevant. 16/48 would be adequate. 

Probably not much money to be made though, as I am a notorious skinflint. Most of the time. 

But I devour these articles and hope I can find some usable edge case. Thanks!!

8 hours ago, Mike27 said:

No one I think is in my tree. 

I just want something that will let me stream any audio in “real time” from a PC running broadcast automation software to my car. I’m actually doing this right now (ok, I’m on the patio, not driving) but only as 128k AAC. It actually sounds surprisingly good. And I can listen about a couple hours a day without jacking up the phone bill. But, I depend on the good graces of a friend who lets me have a little server bandwidth for free. 

What I’d like is something flexible enough to handle 5-10 connections at once, mostly because of coverage dropouts reconnecting without closing the now-lost blah blah not relevant. 16/48 would be adequate. 

Probably not much money to be made though, as I am a notorious skinflint. Most of the time. 

But I devour these articles and hope I can find some usable edge case. Thanks!!

Do you require the automation? Are you automating the playback of your own files?

• 2 years later...
5 minutes ago, Dan Gravell said:

I've just heard that BRIO is ceasing service (rather abruptly) at the end of this month (March 2024). If anyone needs any help migrating to Astiga ( https://asti.ga - fully native streaming from cloud storage) let me know...

Disclaimer: Astiga is a commercial product.

Oh wow. Thanks for the update Dan. 

Do you know if this includes its behind the scenes services to sites like HDtracks?

Just a note that while I enjoyed Astiga, depending on your cloud service's egress charges, use of it may run into money. I settled on putting my local music on the Web via a home server app as my preferred solution (started with Subsonic, now using Airsonic-advanced, which is free).

8 hours ago, Dan Gravell said:

Thanks - you're right, it is a concern - but broadly egress seems to be in retreat these days following the realisation just how much of people's AWS bills are "Data Transfer"! Plus, on the really consumer grade services like Google Drive and Dropbox it simply isn't a thing.

I ran into the extra charges a couple of years ago for my music files backed up on Backblaze B2. I don't know about other services, or even whether Backblaze still has the same charges for egress. Just something to check out if you want to use Astiga.