IGNORED

Best Instrumentals!

Best Instrumentals!

Probably exclusively Pop - although plenty of these have been inspired by Classical pieces.

Vocal exclamations: "Geronimo!", "Play it Dave!" etc allowed. Maybe even Handelian chorals as reinforcement. Otherwise strictly not sung.

Surf, Jigs and Reels particularly welcome!

On the subject of Celtic, bonus points are available for renditions of "The Lonesome Boatman". The most exquisite version, courtesy of Maureen Carter on whistle, starts here at 40.00: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQc3RfQH8Uc. I saw Crannog many times at the Tally Ho pub in Kentish Town during the 1980s. It was a favourite weekend night out. The eponymous Album and its bonus Single exist only on vinyl. It was the last record I let go when I sold nearly all my possessions during 2002. Maureen's "Lonesome Boatman", and thoughts of me selling my own copy, still bring a tear to my eye. Needless to say I have another copy now. It's not the same - but nor is life - and that's a good thing.

Chronological always makes sense to me.

Shall we kick off proper with "Death Ray Boogie" by Pete Johnson (1941)

Now Arthur Smith's "Guitar Boogie". First released 1940s. Watch Arthur play it here on TV much later. Demonstrates the importance/suitability of the Martin Dreadnought for those bass runs that permeated Hillbilly and Rockabilly in those salad days of Rock 'n' Roll.

Here's top Surf - Milt Rogers with "Let's Go Trippin'" (1961)

What about the staple Instrumental "Green Onions" by Booker T. & The M.G.'s (1962)

Freak out to "A Love Built On Sand" - The Animated Egg (1968)

I think the Byrds mustn't be also-rans, don't you - Nashville West (1969)

It would be a crime to omit from our Intro "Groovin' With Mr. Bloe" (1970)

Here's Focus with "Sylvia" on The Old Grey Whistle Test (1972)

Hard to beat for the Scottish Dance category - Bobby MacLeod with a 40 Bar Reel Medley (The Hopeful Lover; Old Island Air; The Piper's Cave; After the Battle):

I have this only on vinyl. It is unobtanium on CD.

Remember - bonus points for "The Lonesome Boatman"!

Can you have an instrumental that does not actually include any real instruments?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

9 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

The BBC '2nd House' performance including Fred Frith (!) on guitar and (white) bass.

If he isn't already aware, have you shared with @christopher3393 that Fred Frith was a founder member of the band Henry Cow?

A long time ago, as I grew to appreciate Richard Thompson, I had the (vinyl!) French Frith Kaiser Thompson Album 'Invisible Means'. I never did get into it. Is it any good do you know?

38 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

Rock and Roll instrumentalist Link Wray's first single:

"The Swag" - Link Wray & His Wray Men, 1958

(...and this was on the other side: "Rumble" ...sounds dangerous)

Superlative!

I lol when Jimmy P got out the "Rumble" Single. As a trader I noticed it was in its correct Sleeve! Very unusual for a Company vs. Pic Sleeve 7" - especially that era. Don't mind me. Little things please little minds. Love the Indian documentary, especially Iggy's "Fuck it ...". Plus the horse's mouth on "Rumble". It's funny. I don't get into "Rumble" 'cos it don't got that rhythm/beat to my ears. But the way Link explains it, it's all rhythm and beat ... 1, 2, 3 da da da d'd'd' ... 1, 2, 3 da da da d'd'd' .... I was trying to figure the bar - wrestled - then I read this at a drummers' Forum:

Alright, first off all everybody is telling me differrent stuff about the song. Some say it's in 12/8, others - 6/8. I sort of believe wikipedia - it's in 4/4 with triplets on the ride. Here's what wikipedia has to say about the strange timing of "Rumble": The piece uses a modified 12-bar blues form (the last two beats are omitted, resulting in an 11 and a half bar form). The last two 4/4 measures of the typical 12 bars blues format started earlier than usual (the 3rd beat of measure 10) thus shortening the piece and making it an eleven and one half measure blues.
Eleven and half measure blues? What in hell's name is that? So I kept on searching, and some other guz told me: Rumble feels strange because it is essentially a 12 bar blues form but shortened by 2 beats, making it an 11 1/2 bar blues. So it's straight 4/4 for 11 bars followed by a 2/4 measure. It's a shuffle (the ride cymbal is playing triplets) in 4/4 with 2 pickup notes. 3 4 1 (2) (3) (4) (1) (2) 3 4 1 etc... The non-parenthesis numbers are the beats the guitar chords are on.
And then I read this: Link Wray's Rumble is an interesting one. It's essentially an 11 and a half bar blues. There's a 6/4 bar on the five chord, and no turnaround.

wtf? Well if a drummer can't figure it out, I don't need to lose any sleep ...

Although I prefer this one ....

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.