IGNORED

Article: Audiophile Style Podcast: Episode 28 | OraStream Interview

Chris, thanks for doing Orastream. I worked with them back when they were getting started with Naxos. Frankie and Kelvin are real pros and also really great people. I lost track of them recently but it was great to hear them tell the Orastream story. I am about halfway through the podcast and look forward to the rest.

Tried Brio, contrary to your experience, Chris, out of 15 albums I attempted to upload to the cloud (no more than 10-12 gb total) only 5 albums successfully uploaded. I am out. And I didn't even attempt playback. If I can't upload my music, it's worth less than zero, let alone the cost of a subscription. Sad.

Vinyl is a hugely overpriced way to get flawed sound. Digital is an inexpensive way to get less flawed (though flawed nonetheless) sound.

42 minutes ago, senorx said:

Tried Brio, contrary to your experience, Chris, out of 15 albums I attempted to upload to the cloud (no more than 10-12 gb total) only 5 albums successfully uploaded. I am out. And I didn't even attempt playback. If I can't upload my music, it's worth less than zero, let alone the cost of a subscription. Sad.

I have an article coming out Thursday about Brio. Today I just uploaded content and Brio was uploading at over 500 Mbps on my 1 Gbps up/down connection. Blazing fast. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing The Audiophile Style Podcast

Just tried it and got one song in mp3 format to upload after about 20 minutes...

Will try it again another time.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)+Schiit Freya>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: RPi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

12 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I have an article coming out Thursday about Brio. Today I just uploaded content and Brio was uploading at over 500 Mbps on my 1 Gbps up/down connection. Blazing fast. 

I have nowhere near that robust a connection (lucky to get 80mbps via ethernet), but it should still be sufficient, just slow. Which it is, but I am used to that. I have no problem streaming 4k video, so...

Frankie did contact me directly in response to my comment above, to see some examples of the files I couldn't upload, so they are quite responsive thus far. $200/yr might be a pittance to some, but might be a bridge too far for me. Couldn't afford Roon either, so I am used to that as well.

Vinyl is a hugely overpriced way to get flawed sound. Digital is an inexpensive way to get less flawed (though flawed nonetheless) sound.

14 hours ago, firedog said:

Just tried it and got one song in mp3 format to upload after about 20 minutes...

Will try it again another time.

While lossy formats (aac and mp3) are supported in the desktop uploader, they were omitted from the web-based uploader. We have now added mp3 support for web-based uploads to cloud storage.

I should point out that mp3 and aac audio files uploaded to BRIO cloud storage also gets encoded in MPEG-4 SLS - as such, although they appear/stream as 44.1k/16b audio, they only contain lossy audio data from the original aac or mp3 source files.

I also wish to take this opportunity to thank Chris and Audiophile Style for the opportunity to tell the OraStream story; the attached provides an insight to adaptive streaming for those inclined to find out more. 

Quality_Whether_You_Want_It_Or_Not.pdf

1 hour ago, OraStream said:

While lossy formats (aac and mp3) are supported in the desktop uploader, they were omitted from the web-based uploader. We have now added mp3 support for web-based uploads to cloud storage.

I should point out that mp3 and aac audio files uploaded to BRIO cloud storage also gets encoded in MPEG-4 SLS - as such, although they appear/stream as 44.1k/16b audio, they only contain lossy audio data from the original aac or mp3 source files.

I also wish to take this opportunity to thank Chris and Audiophile Style for the opportunity to tell the OraStream story; the attached provides an insight to adaptive streaming for those inclined to find out more. 

Quality_Whether_You_Want_It_Or_Not.pdfUnavailable

I previously dowloaded the desktop (Windows) version. Says it's uploading, but nothing actually uploads. Even after a few hours. And yes, I decided for the trial to try mp3, as I'm fine with that quality for mobile listening.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)+Schiit Freya>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: RPi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)