IGNORED

Best DAC for less than 2500 euros, New or used ?

17 hours ago, Ozan Bolat said:

then, would'nt the Holo Cyan DSD be the perfect DAC ? Why they stopped it? comments seem to suggest there were issues with it and that it was only so so but wouldn't a May reduced to DSD at Spring price point be the absolute steal ?

I have Cyan DSD as well. It doesn't perform as well with DSD as Spring does. Did they stop it? What issues? Likely Cyan PCM too?

I cannot know why some manufacturer does something with their products. Price difference to the Spring wasn't huge anyway.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

1 hour ago, Miska said:

?

I cannot know why some manufacturer does something with their products. 

too bad ! sure HQP + a May level DSD only DAC would be a good thing. Does it exist in another brand ?

10 hours ago, Ozan Bolat said:

too bad ! sure HQP + a May level DSD only DAC would be a good thing. Does it exist in another brand ?

At least in form of variants of my DSC1 design. But I don't think having or not having PCM support in May makes much difference in terms of price.

10 minutes ago, Miska said:

At least in form of variants of my DSC1 design. But I don't think having or not having PCM support in May makes much difference in terms of price.

Do you infer that I should go the extra mile and get a May rather than a Spring even if I am to use it DSD only in the end ?

• 2 weeks later...

@Miska If I summarize... (I have a Pegasus): PCM 1.4112 in 20bits is the most linear but DSD 256 has a lower jitter.
In terms of SQ it is equivalent ?
I use either DSD 256 ASDM5EC (7EC too CPU intensive) or PCM 1.4112 (44.1 auto) LNS15.
I'm interested in your opinion even if it applies to the Spring which is not the same machine but with an equivalent R2R architecture.

15 minutes ago, Zauurx said:

@Miska If I summarize... (I have a Pegasus): PCM 1.4112 in 20bits is the most linear but DSD 256 has a lower jitter.

20-bits or less with correct type of noise shaping is most linear for Holo Audio DACs when in PCM mode. It is way to make the PCM mode work better. Not related to DSD.

Thank you. I reread the HQplayer post in parallel...

You find PCM flatter even in 1.4/1.5 compared to DSD in EC.

I'd have to do some more tests without getting trapped by the level difference (+6db).

I don't think that my convolution (matrix HAF in 768) has any influence.