IGNORED

QNAP Won't Boot After Power Failure

Hi Guys, I had a power failure and now my QNAP NAS won't boot. After I pull the power cord, plug it back in and hit the power button, it says system booting for less than one second. Then it goes dark. It won't even come back on to give me that message unless I unplug it and do the same process. 

Any ideas? Anyone had this happen with a QNAP?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

At my house the power popped on and off twice yesterday in about 3 seconds   My audio server was on.  When I went to play some music I realized that it would not boot up.  It just had mobo lights on but no boot.  

My service guy who has had it today told me he thinks the mobo is smoked... I don't know if that is your issue but for what it's worth it is mine.

Vinyl Nirvana Thorens 125 MKII+EAT JO No5 w/ SoundSmith Boran Cantilever>Gold Note PH5+HDPlex 500 ATX+
HDPlex 300>Custom W10 Server>Roon Rock>Euphony Stylus v4+Endpoint v4 Atom/JCAT XE USB>ISO Regen>
Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 w/ RoomPerfect>GR Research NX-Studio + Rythmik F18 Servo Sub
"Get Off Your Knee, Burn The Mask And Please Wake Up....You Have Been Lied To About Everything...And I Mean Everything"

I had issues with my TS-453 Pro a while back...mostly due to power ups/downs similar to a power outage.  I think I pulled one hard drive that had been sending signals of misbehaving and I let the QNAP sit for a day, unplugged, to ensure total discharge.  I may have reseated the other HDs.   Started back up when I plugged it in and hit the switch.  

If you have extra cards installed (ethernet mainly...maybe fiber), I would pull those.  Seems that during thunderstorms my ethernets connections always fry.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

Are you guys not using an UPS with the NAS?

@The Computer Audiophile, have you checked the PSU? Maybe it is the problem rather than the NAS itself.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

10 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

Are you guys not using an UPS with the NAS?

@The Computer Audiophile, have you checked the PSU? Maybe it is the problem rather than the NAS itself.

I don't have a UPS on this. I really should. 

I have an email into QNAP. I think it's the PSU that has failed. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

5 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I don't have a UPS on this. I really should. 

I have an email into QNAP. I think it's the PSU that has failed. 

QNAP provided great support when I ran into trouble with the firmware update on a friend's ancient TS-212, but it took them a couple of days after I opened the ticket to get back to me.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Required complete unit replacement. New PSU didn’t fix the issue. I popped the drives into new unit and all was ok. 

This highlights why I don't like proprietary RAID. If the unit dies and the unit is obsolete then you might lose everything -- ie you can't buy a  new unit. The business class QNAP units use Linux/ZFS as the filesystem. I have maintained a ZFS array for almost 20 years, moving it from Solaris to opensolaris/indiana, then Mac OS and finally to Linux ZFS were it now resides, swapping out hard drives along the way.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

6 hours ago, jabbr said:

This highlights why I don't like proprietary RAID. If the unit dies and the unit is obsolete then you might lose everything -- ie you can't buy a  new unit. The business class QNAP units use Linux/ZFS as the filesystem. I have maintained a ZFS array for almost 20 years, moving it from Solaris to opensolaris/indiana, then Mac OS and finally to Linux ZFS were it now resides, swapping out hard drives along the way.

I have tried, and failed, to get ZFS working on the Mac, do you have any good suggestions or links to a good guide?

Its working on Ubuntu like a champ however, and on my new TrueNAS devices.

No electron left behind.

7 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I have tried, and failed, to get ZFS working on the Mac, do you have any good suggestions or links to a good guide?

Its working on Ubuntu like a champ however, and on my new TrueNAS devices.

A long long time ago there was discussion of making ZFS the native file system for the Mac — I used it then. I wouldn’t try these days unfortunately because there’s no developer support. 

It’s bundled with Ubuntu so super easy to use. 

Its great that QNAP is using it in their newer/higher end NAS. 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.