IGNORED

Amps

Gutterball1985

Question

Hi everyone. I’m a new to this world. I recently picked up a pair of Klipsch Cornwall IIs and I’m looking for an amplifier.  I think I want a tube amp, not solid state, but I’m open to possibilities. 

I’d like to keep the amp under 1k if possible.  Just looking for suggestions! 

thanks in advance.

10 answers to this question

6 hours ago, Gutterball1985 said:

Hi everyone. I’m a new to this world. I recently picked up a pair of Klipsch Cornwall IIs and I’m looking for an amplifier.  I think I want a tube amp, not solid state, but I’m open to possibilities. 

thanks in advance.

mmm, could be a sub optimal spend. What will you be using as source + pre? If these aren't good, with 101 db efficiency you could spend $450 on a

NAD C 316BEE and have $500 left to upgrade elsewhere. Tubes are nice but source solution is what makes/breaks system potential.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Hi Dave. Thanks.  Ok, I need to decode  that a bit; total newb here. Source- I think you’re referring to my bluesound DAC&streamer. Is that what you mean by source?

I don’t have a preamp with it—yet. Currently using a schitt (single stage) amp. But not getting the mids or the warmth I’d like. 

open to preamp suggestions too. I generally have preferred the tube amp sound. 

thanks!

12 hours ago, Gutterball1985 said:

thanks in advance.

Here's an option for you. It is a few bucks over your price budget but has several solid reviews under its belt. I've not heard it myself but might be worth a look

https://www.rogueaudio.com/Products_sphinx.htm

And a nice detailed review here with test bench measurements by JA

https://www.stereophile.com/content/rogue-audio-sphinx-integrated-amplifier

20 hours ago, Gutterball1985 said:

Hi Dave. Thanks.  Ok, I need to decode  that a bit; total newb here. Source- I think you’re referring to my bluesound DAC&streamer. Is that what you mean by source?

I don’t have a preamp with it—yet. Currently using a schitt (single stage) amp. But not getting the mids or the warmth I’d like. 

open to preamp suggestions too. I generally have preferred the tube amp sound. 

thanks!

Its easy to blame problems on the wrong area... what Schiit amp do you have? In the FWIW column I've set aside the tube pre I was using, now using a passive Schiit SYS pre @$49 because the tube pre was slower and muddier on transients, had same issue using  Prima Luna Premium integrated tube gear.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Hi,

By high efficiency I mean any speakers above, say, 95 db. Your Cornwall ii have an efficiency of 101 db so they definitely qualify as high efficiency. You might want to do a search or ask a question on the Decware forum about klipsch Cornwall’s. I think a few people are using them with Decware amps. The downside of Decware amps is you have to wait for them to be built, which could be 6 to 12 weeks. With the right speaker the super zen triodes sound wonderful.

If you feel you’ll need more watts than the Decware amps have and/or you don’t want to wait you might also take a look at Jolida amps. I don’t know about the new ones but the older ones have a good value for the price and with some tube rolling can sound really good.

Regards,

Mario

A couple of things, depending on your room size & layout you can get pretty loud with 2 watts. The room where I have my Decware setup is about 12 x 20 feet and I normally keep the volume between 10 and 11 o’clock. My speakers are full range Omega junior 8 xrs with an efficiency of about 96 to 98 db.