IGNORED

Do I need clean USB power when using DAC with its own power supply?

6 hours ago, botrytis said:

Disagree if you want @One and a half it is fine. I have asked people to show me noise measurements and they always tell me, I can't measure it but I can hear it. Well, that may be 'Expectation bias'. Meaning if you think the noise is there, your brain will add it in for you.

A link to the noise measurement thread. 

PC Noise measurments

This statement is the reason why there's an objective forum to nut out these details, in the 'open' the discussions can get very tense. 

I thought to raise the disagree flag and leave it at that, but no, the same tired arguments come into play, which I will ignore. Expectation bias over several weeks listening for cable or a different source, doesn't apply, can also be applied equally that you don't expect any change, cause the measurements say it isn't so - laughable. Be honest and say that's good enough for me instead, have no problem with that, but don't hide behind measurements.

Measuring single sine waves and how they work won't cut it for 2Ch music with rapid dv/dt all over the place. Stage height, depth, location of instruments relies on critical timing. With every USB cable change, most members here can hear the change for better or worse as far as that image is concerned. EMI is easy to transmit over very small capacitance, and USB especially when, not if, the potentials of the grounds of the source and target a different even by a few microvolts, which would be nice, but from a PC? Hardly attainable by any stretch of the imagination, with over a dozen SMPS/PWM controllers let alone the millions of gates in the CPU, bus controllers and the like. Each transistor has a gate, source and drain, there's capacitance between the gate and both when the transistor is switched on/off it emits EMI, that's fact. 

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

2 hours ago, BassFace said:

Have you ever listened to some Ex Machina? Genelic 1238's?  Nuemann KH420?  PMC BB6S XBD-A?   Strauus Elektroakustik?  Adam S5V? ATC SCM models?  All used regularly and highly respected.   Slightly better than the Behringers and Classic Bedroom KRK Rokits that I think and suspect your confusing for Pro one might say.

Most of nearfield pro speakers are active types with DSP and some have built in DACs.  I fail to understand how good all that inaccessible electronics is pounded by sledgehammer sound waves at ear splitting levels. No wonder modern pro mastering, mixing remains at rock bottom quality designed for the lowest cost.

There's division for you 🙂

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA