IGNORED

I have had it with Roon, their lack of support, their user forum, and it's users...

5 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I am not alone in considering Roon's SQ to be sub par, and when I want to listen for anything other than convenience I turn Roon off and use other players, specifically HQPlayer. Perhaps the question you need to ask yourself is, why don't I hear the difference?

edit: It doesn't take mega dollars to hear the differences either, in my opinion. I can hear it clear as day with a raspberry Pi4 into a Schiit Modi multibit.

?

Roon does player interface great but endpoint USB out is mediocre

HQPlayer does endpoint USB out great but player interface is a la late 1990's...  1 step removed from DOS, kissing cousin to Foobar2000

Takes these two half's to make a whole.... I don't like using either by itself.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

OK, as a Roon + HQPlayer user, I have questions. I utilize convolution filters generated by @mitchco via Roon. This allows me to apply those filters to Qobuz streaming content, which nowadays is about 95% of what I listen to. 

(1) How do I use my existing convolution filters, created for use with Roon, in HQPlayer without utilizing Roon?

(2) How do a I listen to Qobuz streaming through HQPlayer without utilizing Roon?

2 minutes ago, jiminlogansquare said:

(1) How do I use my existing convolution filters, created for use with Roon, in HQPlayer without utilizing Roon?

This is a question for @Miska

2 minutes ago, jiminlogansquare said:

How do a I listen to Qobuz streaming through HQPlayer without utilizing Roon?

you don't.

I use Roon to stream an album to decide to buy, and for convenience of streaming to multiple endpoints in the house. HQPlayer is local files only when used as a standalone player.

No electron left behind.

2 hours ago, davide256 said:

?

Roon does player interface great but endpoint USB out is mediocre

HQPlayer does endpoint USB out great but player interface is a la late 1990's...  1 step removed from DOS, kissing cousin to Foobar2000

Takes these two half's to make a whole.... I don't like using either by itself.

Do you want convenience or sound quality...

I also use the two together, however I also find that HQPlayer sounds even better when not using Roon at all.

No electron left behind.

10 minutes ago, jiminlogansquare said:

OK, as a Roon + HQPlayer user, I have questions. I utilize convolution filters generated by @mitchco via Roon. This allows me to apply those filters to Qobuz streaming content, which nowadays is about 95% of what I listen to. 

(2) How do a I listen to Qobuz streaming through HQPlayer without utilizing Roon?

you could use hqplayer embedded, load your filters in it, and then use some upnp App to act as server to stream quobuz to it (such as mconnect app ot bubble upnp App).

But you would surely miss the way Roon shows your music to you. That is why I am using it still: the most beautiful and friendly way to browse my music and control hqplayer.

21 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Do you want convenience or sound quality...

I also use the two together, however I also find that HQPlayer sounds even better when not using Roon at all.

You just don't have enough PC's. thats all 🤪

But seriously, I am wondering if you run Roon on separate machine  from HQPlayer PC or have tried it? Can't tell where Roon resides

from your profile

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

8 minutes ago, jiminlogansquare said:

Also, I just now tried loading my local files into HQPlayer embedded. I provided the path on my sonicTransporter where all of my files reside. HQPlayer told me to wait 10 seconds, and then ... only 75 of my 1,000+ albums got imported. 

That I can't help you with, this is why I like local storage. I am positive if you head over to the HQPlayer thread, you will get help pretty quick from someone who knows what to do, or Miska himself.

No electron left behind.

9 hours ago, jiminlogansquare said:

You use highest rate convolution filters you have in HQPlayer instead.

If you use HQPlayer Embedded, you can use for example mConnect Player app on iOS/Android and likely BubbleUPnP Android app works too.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Also, I just now tried loading my local files into HQPlayer embedded. I provided the path on my sonicTransporter where all of my files reside. HQPlayer told me to wait 10 seconds, and then ... only 75 of my 1,000+ albums got imported. 

Are those in one of the supported formats?

Is there some guidance available on how to load convolution filters created via Audiolense for use with Roon into HQPlayer? I certainly would utilize HQPlayer without Roon to play my local files (I have a lot of them!), if I knew how to apply my convolution filters via HQPlayer without Roon.

I think Audiolense can export mono WAV filters these days and you can directly use these in HQPlayer. Just generate filters for 382.8k rate and you have pretty optimal situation.

Why does HQP not support ALAC? That is the one thing that is stopping me from moving to HQP. I also started with a Mac-based music player (Pure Music) and the majority of my files are ALAC.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

On 9/5/2021 at 1:54 AM, davide256 said:

Can someone please explain what is the late 90's part in HQPlayer GUI? I've tried to make it pretty modern with transition animations and everything...

916407901_Screenshotfrom2021-09-0614-27-33.thumb.png.903210d851b29c3b717decac36a04695.png

517529123_Screenshotfrom2021-09-0614-29-17.thumb.png.dfbb8e28dfa080000134ef8d84b105ad.png