IGNORED

I have had it with Roon, their lack of support, their user forum, and it's users...

9 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I let that run overnight when I switched to this server and it has been done for ages. The truth of oil is that Roon is doing a lot of activity in the background most of the time. I don't know why it needs to do it during music playback or why it required 145% of CPU resources during music playback. But it did and it was audible as a loss of quality in the sound.

Yes I observed that too when my new music server arrived in January.  It took at least a month for it to settle down.  It had to get through analyzing my entire music library.  I haven’t seen as much activity since but I haven’t really checked.  

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

The processing might be a function of how many network folders you have Roon watching.  

Antipodes came up with a smart approach of having only a single watched folder.  This folder is essentially a single virtual volume with network folders mounted by Linux.  Antipodes claims that this cuts down on processing.  I can’t confirm or deny, but wonder if those who see all this processing have Roon watching a number of shared folders.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Only two here. 

Then maybe it’s related to library size.  There are 10x more files in just your L drive than my entire library.  Good for you but maybe bad for Roon and you.

2 hours ago, botrytis said:

Well, measurements are more sensitive than ears and are not skewed by how our hearing works.

That’s not exactly true.  How our ear and brain work together is quite complex and science is still trying to understand it.  A single measurement could be more sensitive for sure, but alone it gives us only a part of the story.  

14 hours ago, happybob said:

Aurender does sound better than Roon - I verified this a while back. One challenge I and perhaps some have is that I sometimes do still need to use Roon (for multiroom playback) and Aurender does not run Roon at all (even as an option) from what I understand.

How were you able to verify that Aurender sounds better without being able to run Roon on the same box?  I’m sure you’re right - just curious though.

6 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

n my opinion, HQPlayer sounds best when Roon server is shutdown completely and the only thing running is HQPlayer

This has been my impression too.  Antipodes makes it pretty easy to shutdown Roon.  I will say though that I think shutting down Roon makes less of an improvement if I’ve shutdown my network, which I can do using a smart plug to kill the power to my opticalModule.  Roon is very active on the network and I think much of its sonic degradation comes from that.

9 minutes ago, happybob said:

with Roon vs other software  on the same box and Roon generally loses the competition.

More like always, unfortunately.  But yeah I know what you mean.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Now instead of losing control of the audio device, Roon is saying the NAS is offline. It isn't. I have a constant ping to it and it's response time hasn't gone above 0.4ms, and none of my other SMB connections to the NAS from other devices have been effected. 

Playback cruising along, then just stops. This seems familiar. 

These outdoor zones - are they connected over wifi?  RAAT has struck me as awfully brittle.  Delays anywhere along the path will cause playback to stop.  The error messages tend not to be helpful either.  But you know that already.