IGNORED

I have had it with Roon, their lack of support, their user forum, and it's users...

On 7/5/2021 at 3:33 AM, March Audio said:

The only background process that I am aware of that can eat the CPU is the audio analysis.  However you can set that to whatever level you want, from all your cores, to throttled to completely off.  After the intial scan AFAIK it only kicks off when you add new material. Cant say I have found it causing any problems here.

image.thumb.png.8b22967e316b5f9b93f2c00048c6d2aa.png

20 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I let that run overnight when I switched to this server and it has been done for ages. The truth of oil is that Roon is doing a lot of activity in the background most of the time. I don't know why it needs to do it during music playback or why it required 145% of CPU resources during music playback. But it did and it was audible as a loss of quality in the sound.

Same here. Issues with CPU even though the library analysis has been done for months. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 minute ago, kennyb123 said:

The processing might be a function of how many network folders you have Roon watching.  

Antipodes came up with a smart approach of having only a single watched folder.  This folder is essentially a single virtual volume with network folders mounted by Linux.  Antipodes claims that this cuts down on processing.  I can’t confirm or deny, but wonder if those who see all this processing have Roon watching a number of shared folders.

Only two here. 

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 3.17.47 PM.png

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

7 minutes ago, seeteeyou said:

This one would be way too funny and I just couldn't resist since I'm also an Asian myself, my classmates and I were constantly making fun of our teachers back in our high school days

https://www.vox.com/videos/2019/3/26/18282192/asian-accent-l-and-r

Looney Tunes FTW.

Thanks for that. I love learning about other cultures and communication etc… I think looking at ourselves with a little humility or self deprecating humor is always good. 

The people I met in Kenya swapped Ls and Rs. When they said the word roger, to communicate the previous audio transmission via CB radio was understood, it sounded like they said lawyer. We all had fun talking about it and my Minnesota accent provided plenty of fuel for our humor. 

8 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Thats all the stuff that is processing in the background while music is playing...

Is there any reason it can't be done at some other time?

Roon backups won’t run if audio is playing. Seems like the logic is there, but not used during other operations. 

4 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Chris, I appreciate you posting this so that it doesn't look like I am the sole crazy person experiencing a problem no one else is.

Here was my attempt to get help from Roon for this same issue, using the official support forum. I’m not one of those guys who likes to use unofficial channels, so I don’t. 

Roon response took 24 days. 

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-restart-casing-100-cpu-utilization/159544

2 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I turned on Roon to listen to streaming radio through the house and I get an advertisement. I tolerate this in my email because I have a junk filter, but I didn't pay for the software to have ads pushed to the Roon interface.

edit: This offer was in my email as well.

Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 10.40.59 AM.png

Wow.

6 minutes ago, miguelito said:

To be honest, $500 is not enough to try and figure it out. I would prob consider a $350 headphone and a $150 dongle DAC if I really cared.

That sounds like an interesting topic for another discussion. What would people do with $500 / $1,000 / $2,000 to get the best sound etc…

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This afternoon I have Roon sending audio to my outdoor zones (full article coming soon) and the music stops every few tracks. So annoying. I switched to another app sending audio to the same zones, not a single stoppage for hours. Switched back to Roon, stoppages every few songs. 

So annoying. 

14 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Yeah, I have audio stoppage periodically even after switching Roon to a different machine... It says it lost contact with the audio device. I'm not sure why, everything has a fixed IP on my network. I can monitor my network, there is no egregious intermittent users, and everything, save Roon, just flows around normally.

I’ve never had a single issue with HQP and NAA endpoints. Just RAAT and UPnP (the most nonstandard standard).

13 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I'll Venmo you a dollar to post this on the Roon forum, and 100 dollars if someone blames something other than your network.

I made the mistake of doing this once. Despite the fact that everything else works perfectly wasn't reason enough to suspect that the one thing that doesn't work must be the thing with the problem. Even to the point of someone from Roon saying that well, Roon is different so you have to change your entire network for Roon.

NO.

edit: Just imagine if you went to the Dr and said Doc, my finger is broken and it's not working like all my other fingers. And instead of fixing that one finger, he broke all the others to match...

I totally hear ya. 

I’m OK if Roon works differently. However, then Roon needs to tell people what to do to make it work rather than just say “it’s your network.”

Then I can make the decision if it’s worth it. As it is now, Roon is the only app with a problem. If Roon said “You have to do XYZ on your network to make it work.” Then I’d at least know the pros/cons costs/benefits. 

Just saying it’s somebody’s network, even though everything else works great including other audio apps, is a bit tough for customers. 

• 2 weeks later...

Now instead of losing control of the audio device, Roon is saying the NAS is offline. It isn't. I have a constant ping to it and it's response time hasn't gone above 0.4ms, and none of my other SMB connections to the NAS from other devices have been effected. 

Playback cruising along, then just stops. This seems familiar.