IGNORED

I have had it with Roon, their lack of support, their user forum, and it's users...

8 hours ago, austinpop said:

I accept my lifetime subscription is a sunk cost, but I do use Roon for noncritical listening and music discovery on Qobuz. Their UI and UX are excellent. Pity about the SQ.

I have been testing different OS variants and MPD + UPNP and more.  They all sound better than Roon.  Some of the control point apps are “funky”!

I have played with Lumin a bit and it is pretty nice.  I think I might have found a home in Aurender.  I  will have a post up shortly on some of my findings.  

At least with the Linux variants you have some more control of your world!!

1 minute ago, R1200CL said:

Did you test with Linux / Sonicobiter/ ROCK ?

My recent listening is with audiolinux and Euphony.  I have a ROCK server and it is "soft and mushy".   I have not used Sonic Orbiter in a couple of years.  

I have also been testing with my Melco N1Z using MinimServer and it is right up there! (commercial product).  

I have been using MPD UPNP, Minim Server, etc.    I have fussed with an iPad direct,  Stuff on the M1 MacBook Air.  A very long dance.

RJF

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I still have a lifetime license, and Roon on one system here in the house so I updated it to the latest release so I could see if they made it any better. Now I am 100% unable to play any music at all with it. Upon hitting play I am instantly greeted with a message that says, "Roon has lost control of the audio device."

Great update guys...

So, for my girls, does anyone have a fix for this? I couldn't seem to find anything relevant and recent on the Roon forum after a search.

I have had this happen.  I have removed all the endpoints and then power the core all the way down.  Bring it back up and re-add the endpoints.  That has worked for me before.   What OS is the core on?  At one point with AudioLinux I could never get it back again without a re-install of the OS.  That was one of my final straws.  

That also prompted one of my rules.

• Software is the king of sound quality.  It breaks sound quality by just being there.  The less software, the better.  (a bit overstated??)