IGNORED

I have had it with Roon, their lack of support, their user forum, and it's users...

1 hour ago, rn701 said:

"his grammar and spelling need work"

That guy is one of those pedantic "I'm an IT guy so know everything" on an anti-snake oil crusade against switches and everything else that might come before a DAC ASR types. We've had our go around and now I just ignore him. He loves to mansplain'. He's got plenty of doppelgängers over there. 

Amazing how Roon just keep blowing it and blowing it release after release. They come across as a bunch of we know best tech guys who don't want deal with the boring fundamentals of the program and are tripping over each other adding their pet Valence projects to the software with no overall picture in mind. They need to just take care of the fundamentals. At least they got snap back to place fixed this go around after so many years.

Some user customization of screens and menus would be great and go a long way to everyone having a better experience, but since they don't trust their customers (said as much when they were being pushed to implement a quicker way to delete titles from the library) I'm not holding my breath. Still love using it daily and I'll be kinda screwed if they fold, but man, they've got some housecleaning to do. A wider beta testing group would be a good start - I have a feeling they never really tested their servers on a larger scale for the Daily Mix thing and now it's a flop (probably should have gone for weekly or monthly mixes). 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

6 hours ago, miguelito said:

However, with the advent of Apple lossless and Spotify lossless (soon) and the unlikely event of integration into Roon (Spotify already said no, Apple unclear) it might be the case that neither Tidal, Qobuz, nor Roon will be around much longer.

I know you've said this before, and it's almost like you want it to happen, but I just don't see those millions of thirteen year old Billie Eilish and Lil Nas X fans abandoning Qobuz and Roon and their bedroom DCS, Sonore and Naim, etc. streamers to go over to Apple and Spotify. Oh wait, they're already there... with their phones. Not a DAC or fancy power cable in sight. If one hasn't heard of Tidal, Roon, or Qobuz already (which 9 out of 10 haven't), Apple going hi-rez isn't going to change that. 

It's a big world and I think there's plenty of room for mature niche streaming services. Qobuz may actually be in a better position than Tidal though due to also selling downloads. I think way too sone for any thoughts of doom and gloom. Many will 'do the right thing' and eschew the corporate behemoths. Doesn't Apple and Amazon have enough of our money and souls already? 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

14 hours ago, bobbmd said:

@AudioDoctorany idea anyone why ROON load so so slowly

Not a slow loader for me, and I've got nearly 80,000 tracks and 5800 albums - mostly Qobuz, about 900 on a 1tb internal SSD on the NUC 7i5 and 8gb RAM. ROCK not Core. What are you running it on?

C'mon. It's one click to make it disappear. Not that big of a deal considering it takes numerous clicks to do anything or go anywhere in the app, often when one click could/should suffice. That said, I would hope they limit it to once or twice a year. 

Not sure at this point who in their right mind would even buy a Nucleus though. Doesn't seem like the smartest investment considering it's just a repackaged NUC. One can get a pretty screaming computer for $1600 or $2600. 

26 minutes ago, bobbmd said:

@rando like me IT hasn't gone to confession in decades--I am still waiting for them to apologize fo the Inquisition/Holocaust/pediphile priests

@charlesphoto that is the same type of question 'support' and forum trolls asked me blaming MY system or use of WiFi instead of ethernet for a connection-- makes no sense EVERYTHING I use is lightening fast ie TIDAL/Qobuz/Audirvana STUDIO on a late 2012 i7 macmini 16GB RAM a new Samsung SSD HD 4TB using Catalina nothing else is as slow as ROON to load/start-- I am not accusing you of being like ROON forums/administrators but that is exactly what they asked me years ago

Perhaps Roon is more resource heavy than those others. I'm not trying to blame you or you hardware or be a Roon apologist (believe me, I've taken them to task for things more than most) but that 2012 Mini is aging hardware and OS and no matter how one 'pimps' it out newer Mini's or ROCK on an i5 or i7 is going to smoke it. It would be nice if Roon found a way to be less resource intensive, but like others have said it's based on old architecture, so unless they decide to do an entire overhaul from the bottom up, we're stuck with what we have. 

1 hour ago, Iving said:

Isn't that the point aside from annoying the hell out of people ... Exploitation of the gullible.

I have little concern for people with more money than sense. It's not like 'coyotes' are exploiting them by packing them in trucks with no water and driving them to buy overpriced audio gear. Let's get our priorities straight.