IGNORED

I have had it with Roon, their lack of support, their user forum, and it's users...

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

In my opinion, HQPlayer sounds best when Roon server is shutdown completely and the only thing running is HQPlayer.

I'm running Roon Server, HQPlayer Embedded on HQP OS and an NAA all on separate machines.

Would you (guys) expect that I'd get better results by removing Roon? Specifically, I mean running HQP Desktop to my NAA? Or should isolating Roon to its own server minimize or eliminate any negative SQ impact from Roon?

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

1 hour ago, Foggie said:

That's how I run it:

1. roon core on Ubuntu server which is a small form factor i7-9700 with a NVMe for the DB and one large capacity HD for music (in Utility room)

2. HPQ on high end wkst on server 2019 (in Utility room)

3. OpticalRendu as naa > to DAC (fiber is run from network rack to listening room)

Not sure how much roon influences (HQP) in this type of config being everything is "separate".  Dunno.  I've been tempted to get a fiber nic and a PF or jcat XE usb card and install in the wkst (#2), move it to listening room and connect it to DAC.

A lot of options I'm evaluating at the moment.

My HQP server has Windows Server 2019 and HQP Desktop on its internal drive, but I always boot it from a USB drive running HQP OS. 

It will be simple enough for me to shut Roon down and play music by dragging and dropping it into HQP Desktop to see if I can hear any improvement that way. Of course, it's not a perfect comparison, given that there will be an entirely different OS, but it's always fun to experiment. 

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

Are the benefits of Euphony OS & Stylus apparent when you're using an NAA? Or do you need to have the DAC directly connected to the Euphony OS server to hear the improvement it makes?

I ask because my understanding is that one of the primary benefits of using an HQP NAA is that it isolates the DAC from the HQP server.

2 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

In my case, yes very much so. It's all running on the same hardware as Roon was and it works and sounds much better.

Your affirmative answer means that it's best to run Euphony OS direct to the DAC? Or that the benefits of Euphony OS are still apparent when using an NAA?

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, bobflood said:

No software is perfect but Roon for most users is the best that is out there. Just use it with HQPlayer and the sound quality will be excellent. As long as you are not trying to manage terabytes of music and you run Roon on a stable platform you will have a good overall experience. If you primarily stream vs a local library then Roon is really the best of what there is available right now. It is not in-expensive but all the metadata and functionality don't come cheap. Try to cut through all the noise here before you give up on what may suit you just fine. 

I have a 19TB local library (crazy, I know) and Roon manages it very well. And I run it on an old i7-3770S.

I don't use Roon's library (metadata) backup system. Instead, I just clone that server's entire OS drive periodically. But Roon's performance in finding and playing music and metadata in the massive library is not just good, but extremely fast.

Like I said earlier, what's good about Roon is great. Then there's the other things...